I don't know how to sew but want to learn.....where do I start?

I know how to sew simple things, like buttons, and how to sew up a small hole in clothes and what not. But, I want to start making clothes for my little girl. I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

mna_823

Asked by mna_823 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• check with your local fabric store, they may offer classes.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Joanne Fabrics offers classes, as does Michaels. They are really inexpensive, sometimes even free.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I just went to the fabric store (Joanne's) and looked through the pattern books, picked a dress, fabric and dove in. Looking back, it was not an easy pattern and the fabric was a difficult one to use. But we were looking at pictures the other day and DD said, I remember that dress. I loved it. She was 2 then, and is now 11.

I would go through the pattern books and look for easy patterns. The instructions are usually pretty easy. You can look up stuff that you don't understand on youtube (which didn't exist when I was learning, so I just muddled through.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would search for "free clothing patterns" on the internet and read through them carefully. See if you understand what they're asking of you. Then just go for it. I taught myself how to sew about a year ago and it's not as hard as you would think it is.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• crafts.com
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I taught myself. Start with the most simple pattern you can find, and follow the step-by-step instructions. I ended up being able to put together 2 or 3 different patterns to achieve the look we wanted. It's a very fun thing to do, and when I did it, it was also a money saver, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Start with something simple. There is actually a line called "Sewing for Dummies" Those are great and I still use them from time to time.

I've been sewing for more than 16 years, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I also recommend starting with a class if possible, you can definitely learn on your own, but it's so nice to have someone there to teach you the right way to do things so that you don't learn bad habits, and give you guidance as a beginner...I'm a seasoned sewer, and still love to take classes, things are constantly changing...even in sewing.

The "Sewing for Dummies" patterns are great, I can't remember if they're Simplicity of McCall's, but the instructions are easy to follow. The other patterns that I like...although more expensive, are the Kwik Sew and "Stretch and Sew" patterns, they both have great instructions and techniques. Once you learn how to sew using them, you can use other patterns, and won't have to worry about figuring out the instructions. They also have books with a variety of patterns and instructions.

Go to the library as well & check out some books, then you'll know which ones you want to buy. Have fun!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Buy a sewing machine, buy some fabric, patterns, and supplies and have at it. It's best to learn from your own mistakes then someone teaching you, because you figure out where you're you need work a lot quicker. However, if you do want to take classes then you can take them at Joanne Fabrics.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Lots of places that sell sewing machines offer classes. Check the stores in your area and ask what's available. Have fun!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011