I'm trying to stop drinking coffee... advice?

Anyone weaned themselves off caffiene successfully? I'm afraid to go cold turkey; I'll get headaches.

bjones2010

Asked by bjones2010 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Start with mixing your caffeine to decaf 75%caff: 25% decaf. The next week go to 50/50, etc… I was decaf for years. I now drink mostly 1/2 caff coffee in the morning/early afternoon. Green tea in the afternoon if I need a lift.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• substitute
    substitute
    substitute

Coffee is an acid, it attacks the food we just ate. Drains out any water in our body, while removing the water it gives us a caffeinated feeling of artificially being fine, but it will never ever leave us feeling okay for long.

Quit quit quit quit, keep trying new juices, flavored water, gum, or even candy, but just plain water is really best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• DON'T DO IT!!! LOL

Glad it isn't me. But I did do this a few years ago. If you get a headache have a little caffeine. Excedrine Migraine has it in it. Good Luck!!!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• "Drains out any water in our body"

It is a diuretic, but it certainly does not drain out "any" water in your body....LOL, If you drink water during the day, you'll be fine.

I'm curious, why stop? Coffee has more health benefits than people realize.

I like the first posters comment, i would wean myself off of it. Or switch to black tea instead.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Ugh, I agree with treynlisa -- glad it isn't me! But I would say cutting back a little each day or week is probably the easiest way. Try mixing decaf and regular coffee. If you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages in the afternoon, set a caffeine cutoff of 1:00 or 2:00pm… GOOD LUCK!!
    Cafe Kristin

Answer by Cafe Kristin at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• wean yourself slowly and good luck! (also glad it's not me!)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thats what you HAVE to do, is wean yourself.... If you usually have 2 cups then go down to a cup and half for a week, then a cup for a week, then a half cup for 2 weeks... then nothing :) BEST OF LUCK!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• switch to decaf
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If you always drink the same amount in a day, start making 1/2 cup less, then every few days cut back another 1/2 cup. I have cut caffeine out multiple times and I actually do it pretty fast - but I don't drink a ton, either, which helps. If you go slow enough, you won't have headaches.

Another way you could try it, which isn't as good, especially if you don't want headaches, but is much faster and is usually how I do it - each new day, go as long as you can before drinking anyting with caffeine - stay hydrated though with other stuff! Once you start to feel a twinge, have a cup of coffee or a soda. Keep going like that, til it's later at night before you have a problem - then you should be able to just quit altogether, and maybe have a little bit every few days if you feel a little twinge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Can't help you there...coffee is my vice o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 11:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011