Has your husband had a vasectomy?

Please share with me what I should expect of my husband afterward. How long did the procedure take? General or local anesthesia? How long did it take for him to...feel better? Is he going to be a big baby afterward? ;o) What should I have on hand to be prepared for his comfort, etc. afterward? What doesn't the doctor tell you?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 10:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• My DH did. The doctor did it right in his office, with just a local. He was sore later that day, and had frozen peas in his lap for most of the next day, but he was fine on the second day after the procedure. (Make sure you go to a urologist rather than someone who only does vasectomies occasionally, my friends husband had a horrible experience.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my husband had one march of last year. it was the last thing he got out of the army before he was honorably discharged :P

the way they did was minimally invasive. he had two or three, very, extremely small cuts, one on the shaft and one on the balls. now almost a year later, those tiny cuts are not even visible. he was given a local anesthetic, and said it just felt like a little kick in the nuts, but the rest of the procedure he felt nothing. he was not in much pain afterward, and probably man-handling himself a few days later. but, doctor told him to "clean out the pipes" as much as possible LOL. we had sex on our anniversary, which was about a month later. no pain (or unwanted pregnancies) involved :) we have three girls and our family is complete. it is such a great feeling to have sex condom free, hormone free, pill free, and pregnancy free! best decision we ever made!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• oh and the doctor said the second day would be worst, but according to him it wasn't. he actually drove a 6 hour drive immediately after the vasectomy. the doctor put on this "padded diaper" as he called it so his balls were nicely cushioned along the drive.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My husband had his in 2005. It was super easy. He said there was no pain and it went quick (I was in the hospital, so I wasn't there), and that the worst part of the whole thing was smelling burning skin when they were cauterizing him. He was totally fine afterward, except when our then 3 year old head butted him in the crotch, LOL. The whole thing was way easier than either of us expected.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Mine had one in 2008. It took less than 45 minutes. He said the worst part was when he could feel them tug on his vas deferens before cauterizing. Then when he saw the pieces they cut off (Men!). Otherwise, he was sore for a few days, was on Vicodin and Motrin, and had to wear a jock strap for a couple of weeks. He was so relieved the first time we had sex and everything "felt the same".
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Google this.  I found my husbands Dr, and my husband was able to check him out and see if he was comfortable with him or not.  He has talked to a couple of guys he works with about it and they all say it's nothing.  Frozen food to use as ice packs.  I am not trying to be crude but this is important and NO the Dr. doesn't say this.  Make sure that you hub lifts up his ball sac (not hard, just cup it) when he sits down.  So he goes to sit down, cup it, and then sit.  One of the guys my hub works with didn't do that and sat on his ball sac, not fun.  No one told him that so he didn't even know to watch for it.  General anesthesia is what the Dr. he will go to uses.  He will be awake during the procedure.  He even said that my hub can drive himself home afterwards.  Not gonna happen, but okay.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• http://www.nostork.com/forms.asp This is where my hub is going.
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011