South Beach Diet

Has anyone used this? Did you skip the first 2 weeks where it's very strict? How successful were you?

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 10:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Actually, the two diets that have been recommended to me by doctors have been the South Beach Diet, and Weight Watchers. My doctor told me either was healthy, that I should pick the one that I could stick to, and not consider it a diet, but of course a lifestyle change. Both my doctor in Wyoming, and here in California recommended both of these diets. I lost weight originally on it when it first came out, and I was living in Wyoming, and then we moved back home and my doctor said she wanted me to lose a little more, and recommended the same two diets.

The first week or two of ANY diet can make you feel weird...your body is in withdrawal from sugar and carbs, or just isn't used to a lower number of calories. On most diets, even healthy ones...when you make a dramatic change, you may not feel good until your body adjusts.

The hard part is making it a permanent lifestyle change....but of course, that's the most important part.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Actually, I did it and STAYED ON the first 2 weeks for quite awhile....the only things I added were a piece of fruit daily, and a serving of diet pudding to help with my chocolate craving. I lost 35 pounds.....once I started adding more than that, I stopped losing weight, but I was still able to maintain the weight. loss.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The first two weeks are too strict for me and I know I'd never stick with it, but I did lose weight when I loosely followed the basic guidelines.
    Cafe Kristin

Answer by Cafe Kristin at 10:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I know the first 2 weeks seem really strict, but if you plan ahead, and keep lots of food on hand that you enjoy and that fits into the plan, you'll be fine.

Some of my favorite meals were:

Crustless Broccoli Quiche with Veggie soup or salad

Taco Salad (ground beef or with cooked chicken breast)

Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce, salad and veggie sticks

Asian lettuce wraps with stir fried veggies

Meatloaf with Cauliflower Gratin, and green beans

Baked chicken breast stuffed with feta and black olives or roasted red peppers, with spinach and onions sauteed in olive oil

deli turkey or roast beef with cream cheese spread in the center, then green onion , and rolled up (also good with a pickle instead of the green onion

And I kept hard boiled eggs on hand for snacks (sometimes made deviled eggs), diet jello, lots of celery sticks (occasionally with cream cheese, nuts & then t
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have tried it and it made me so weak and messed with my bloodsugar and caused heart palpitations. NOT a good idea.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I did it awhile ago & was crabby and hungry & didn't lose any weight.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It didnt work for me but I also was religious about it... I can never do diets lol

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I suck at diets!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• mainemusicmaker - I've had this diet recommended to family members by their doctors and they've all lost. Some over 100lbs and kept it off. I just won't ask them anything about it because I'm not comfortable with talking to them about what I weigh now (I was VERY skinny until I met my husband and he got me addicted to fast food, I was a vegetarian before that)
    Octobersmom

Comment by Octobersmom (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• ive never heard of it but if its strict then try and stick to it and good luck!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011