Thoughts on Your Baby Can Read?

I'm considering this for my 2 year old DD. Have you tried it? Does it work? Will your kids sit through the videos? It's 200 bucks and I don't want to spend that much if it really doesn't do that great. So, is everyone's opinions?

Thanks!

NicholeMWalls

Asked by NicholeMWalls at 10:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not an expert but to me it looks like a whole language system, and in my opinion phonics based reading is a better way to go.
    tugglesmom

Answer by tugglesmom at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids have the system.  It "works" but we found that we didn't like the way it worked.  We both felt like our children need to learn the alphabet before learning how to read words.  I thought that it would be one of the courses in the Your Baby Can Read but no, it's not.  It's okay, it's fun.  Not worth the money in my opinion. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Honestly, you can do the same exact thing without spending the 200 dollars. It's just a matter of showing them the word, saying the word, and showing them a picture of the object. That's all. It is just like "Baby Einstien" in my opinion, which was a bunch of crap to get parents to spend their money on something that didn't benefit anyone. Sure kids were entertained by it, but it didn't actually make them smarter. Children learn from playing and from watching their siblings/parents. It's really more important to just sit down with your child and point out their toys while naming them. Being rededitive is the key.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't know anyone IRL that has used it and been happy with the method or the results. I've seen mostly bad reviews on-line as well. I agree with Tugglesmom, phonics is the best way to teach reading.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Okay, I am thinking it probably does what it says it does. My problem is that it seems one of those super-pushy-parent tools. Reading is awesome! I am all for reading and literacy. But when do kids just get to be kids anymore? My daughters both started reading simple books when they were 5 and could read some words at 3 and 4. This happened naturally because we read to them all the time and taught them their alphabet, etc. We did not push them to learn. My second-grader can read (if not comprehend) at a 12th grade level. My first-grader is testing at a 7th grade level. Why push BABIES to read with programs like this when they can learn naturally and be so successful? I don't see that there is any true advantage...and I do see where there could be disadvantages.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I worked with all my kids(still do) using flash cards and games. I don't want to sit them in front of the tv to learn.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The Today Show had a segment on this product a few months back and the verdict was... Don't waste your money. They had child development experts and parents that had purchased it and they all said it was a total waste of money and did not actually teach your child to read. They also interviewed the creator and he skirted around every single question that asked where he was educated in child development, he basically came off as a scam artist.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• it's repetition. If you sit a child in front of a tv for hours, then go over the same stuff in flashcards and books for hours, yes, they will eventually learn it. But what are they missing out of in all those hours? I think the program, with less instruction time would be good for 2 and up. But not for babies.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I personally think its a way for parents to get out of the complication of teaching their child to really read. Also I think there is a time for a child to learn certain things and one years old isn't the age to do it. But that's just me I guess.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's a bunch of bogus! you can simply make it yourself, using flash cards!!! find pictures on the internet, cut them out, or even draw them yourself. I would never waste my money on such a thing.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011