"On the Today Show" Our Daughters Are Cindarella Princesses?

The Mother feels the medial pushes being a girl too much by pushing dolls, lip gloss, high heels, etc. not tweens but more the 2's, 3's, & 4's etc. & they want to copy & imitate. The come back was it's up to the parents to be able to raise the child and let the child not be too girly too young too young, etc. not the medial. She has actually written a book on the subject, what are your thoughts on this?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think that society teaches girls to place too much emphasis on their appeance. It matters more what is between your ears than what is dangling from them, and as long as my girls can keep those priorities straight, they can be as girly as they want.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If I don't want my children to watch something then they don't. I actually feel these days though that there are an abundance of toys for tomboys and little princesses, I allow my children to be whatever they want to be. If you have a child who detests girly things then she'll always detest them and when she sees them on TV will go yuck... Well that's what has happened with my kids!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If the mom has a problem with the "media" telling her kids to be a princess, she should learn the word NO. Parents do have the control they just need to use it.

My 8 yr old would wear makeup if I let her I don't think its right so she doesn't. Because I am the mom and the word No isn't a dirty word.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I control how much media my kids have access to. How is it the media's fault?

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It is the parents job to filter media before they are old enough to evaluate it themselves. I see the flip side as more true - girls can be tomboys --- but boys stil arent accepted when they love something girly. but it is really the parents job to teach them about media when they are super young. when my son was three i began to teach him about commercials =- they want you to buy things. that is our job as parents.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What a non issue, for the general population, IMO. The Today's Show needs to get a list of the people who participate in those Kiddie beauty pageants-that whole circuit should be eliminated, IMO. Those parents could use some parenting classes and counseling. The other night I wondered upon one of those shows. Oh my, the parents (yes, dads too) appeared far more invested than the girls (Cha- ching). Interesting, of all the moms that I saw, every.single.one looked to be about 50lbs overweight. Vicarious living? Wishful thinking?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i dont find anything wrong with a girl wanting to be girly, or a girl wanting to not be girly. my oldest (4) is very un-girly. she plays with bugs, in the dirt, and rarely touches her barbies. my middle (2) is constantly strutting around in dress up clothes, wearing princess dresses, heels, jewelry, purses, the whole 9. i dont find anything wrong with either. let your child be whoever they want to be. im not a girly-girl, and i watched plenty of tv growing up. the only thing i felt pressured to be was skinny. not girly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What is wrong with a little girl being girly? I think this woman is not giving kids enough credit. I know my child loves dancing and princesses but she also loves getting dirty, toy trucks, and even sports. They can choose what they want to like or not. My daughter was the one who told me she wanted to play softball at 4.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• honestly, i thought there was too much pressure on children to stay within their stereotype (boys wear blue and play with trucks, girls wear pink and play with dolls) now there's too much pressure to get out of the stereotype? really, "media" and society need to make up their minds. in the meantime, ill continue to let my children enjoy playing with what they like to play with. whether it be a doll or a truck.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• IDK. We as parents allow / indulge our children in certain things. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting a little girl pretend to be a fairy or a princess. My DD will put on a princess dress, her fake high heals and throw a nerf bazooka over her shoulder to go play with her brother. She has never been under the impression that she is an actual princess or that she gets everything she wants. It's pretend play. What's the difference if she is a princess in a castle or pretending to be a mom while playing house? She likes princess movies but she doesn't actually pretend to be any particular princess (Disney variety for instance). She just likes pretty sparkly dresses.  And toy guns. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011