Do you compost?

Do you have an open pile, or a closed composter? Do you leave it alone mostly, or are you more hands-on and scientific about it? What do you compost?

I have a ComposTumbler, but I also have 2 enclosures. 1 is for brown waste and 1 is for green waste. When I empty the tumbler I add from each of the enclosures for a good balance. Turning the tumbler every day I can get a fresh batch of compost in about 3 to 6 weeks. I compost everything from dryer lint and vacuum contents to food/garden scraps and yard waste of course. I just don't compost meat or dairy or fatty/oily foods. I just ordered a worm condo too and can't wait to start vermicomposting!

Isn't it time for my garden yet?!

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 10:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I didn't think about laundry lint and vaccuum dust! Thank you for that idea!!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, i compost. Mine is closed. Would not know what to do without my compost, i have never grown such good veggies until i started composting. I will never, ever use commercial chemical fertilizer ever again. Food tastes so much better when you grow it organically. I mostly throw organic matter in there. Food & yard waste. But, i will put newspaper in there as well. I order worms every year & throw them in there to help things along. I turn mine every other day.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011