Parents.....relationship with their adult children

My family facebooks me or calls me often and the first thing out their mouths is 'how's the baby'. We talk but most of the conversation is surrounded around...my 3 year old. So eventually I give him the phone and commence to whatever i was doing before they called me. But my mom often nags me and what not because she says I don't come around and I only see my father on holidays (their divorced) but she fails to realize if I don't invite myself to their homes, I never get invited. She sends my older sister over randomly (unannounced if I might add) and says "we wanna see the baby". Me being me I say what the heck free-time and away he goes for the rest of the day or the entire weekend (depending on what day it is). I just don't understand my mom sometimes. If you seclude me and the only time you talk to me is when you're saying, "what's the little one doing", why do you expect me to keep inviting myself to everything. I personally don't care because I'm the loner type, and always have been but she throws it in my face saying I'm disowning my family and no ones gonna come to my baby shower because I don't come to the family events, but she never even tells me about them until she asks if I have plans with my son. How can I get her to see its not me, she's the one not paying attention to her words and actions.

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 10:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I would just be honest and talk to her.  You are not JUST your child's mother, you are a person and have thoughts and feelings of your own.  Maybe just having a sit down with her and explaining how you feel would clear this right up!  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011