Why is Asheville such a lame city?

I moved here over 3 months ago and I have to say that I am not happy with the way that they do things down here. I understand that it is a city in the mountains and that they're not used to the amount of snow that we get in my homestate of Michigan, but every time we get a fleck of snow, they close the schools. Now my daughter has to go to school on Saturday to make up for today.

The very first snow day wasn't snow at all, it was just really cold and it was a little frost outside. I don't like the fact that she has to go to school on the weekend because they have used way too many snow days already. Two weeks ago, we did have a lot of snow and I understand why the schools were closed, but most of the time they close the schools just because they can.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try living in louisiana....if there might even be snow, everything shuts down. It all has to do with the school buses.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Cities that are not equipped with dealing with ice and snow would rather keep everyone safe than sending them all out into potentially dangerous situations. I'm from North Dakota, so I know cold, snow and ice. Drove in it, went to school in it and even played outside in it. But when we moved to Virginia and they were not equipped, I was more than happy keeping myself and kids home rather than going out and getting into a car accident with those that were not familiar with driving in those kind of elements.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Most of the time school officials do not close the school "just because they can". There is a lot of consideration that goes into whether the school district will call off school for the day or not. Just because it was just a little frosty where you were at doesn't mean that another area didn't have some bad ice spots that would make it dangerous for others to get to school. It sounds like you are not giving your new city a chance. If you have a negative attitude toward it then there is no way to truly enjoy the good things that you city has to offer.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You're in the south sweety. It doesn't usually snow like this here. I live about an hour and half from Asheville. We close down schools like the poster above said because we aren't equipped to handle snow like some of the northern states. A lot of students have to ride the bus to and from school and buses don't run on icy roads. It costs the city too much to "prepare" for it.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't feel that my attitude is negative at all and I also want my child to be safe, that's not the issue. The issue is that if they are gong to shut down the school for snow, let it be because there is actually snow outside, not because there is a minimal amout of FROST. Today there is a small amount of snow, not anything major. Obviously I want my child to be safe, and I also want her to be in school learning. This is a city that gets snow every year, and the past 2 years they have gotten a lot more, so it would make sense for them to start preparing themselves for it and stop acting so shocked when they do get snow.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dont send her. Make sure she gets her homework Monday.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I understand that southern states are not equipped to handle the snow, but since Asheville usually gets snow, I think that they should at least salt the roads. Of course they are not prepared like the states up north, but something should be done anyway.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011