Are there any good cities in Tennessee that are diverse and have low crime rates? This is a question for all the moms who actually live or have lived in the state.

I am looking to relocate from Asheville NC within a year and a half and I want to move to Tennessee. I've always been interested in this state, but I just settled for North Carolina. I am looking for a city that is diverse, good schools, and good community resources. I don't know that much about Tennessee and I worry about how my daughter will be treated because she is bi-racial. I also worry about how I will be treated because I strongly believe that I am gay, (haven't acted on it yet, but that's another story).

I know that Memphis, Knoxville, and Nashville are the larger cities, but I heard that the crime rates of those cities were high. I'd love to move to a mid-sized city that has things to do just like a big city.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Avoid Chattanooga! It use to be a better city and while some parts a better than others it's not worth it. Hamilton County schools did not meet the standards and are now having to offer vouchers for the students to attend other schools if they choose to. The crime rate went up a lot last year and it seems that someone is shot or murdered every week! I can't really give any suggestions for what you are wanting because there are several smaller towns that would shun you and your son. Good luck in your search!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Don't come to Memphis!!! There isn't much good coming out of Memphis, period! Nashville isn't all that bad for crime and is a modern, beautiful city with so many things to do and see! Tennessee doesn't have great schools, in general, but some are better than others...though even the best of them are just mediocre. Chattanooga is apparently a decent place to live too and isn't a huge city. My cousin lives there and loves it. She doesn't have school-age kids yet, so I don't know how she likes the schools there.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You can look up any city on a government site, it's a little more accurate than asking someone what the crime rate in their city is. Most people don't know. There is crime everywhere. The gov site can even tell you what types of crimes are the most accurate.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• :P mistyped the last sentence, the gov site can even tell you what types of crimes are most frequent! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• uh oh here comes my creepy vote down stalker! It's been three days! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Most areas of Nashville are not too bad, but it's hit or miss--especially areas like East Nashville which has pretty high crime rates, but also has trendy, artistic communities. I have many friends who live there, and they love their community and look out for each other. West Nashville is generally much more expensive, but probably lower crime rates. There are many cities and small towns around Nashville that are just fine. Even some areas (like Antioch) that I would usually recommend avoiding also have some great neighborhoods too. Just depends on the neighborhoods. I live in a small town within an hour of Nashville, and I went to school with several bi-racial people. I have two nieces who are bi-racial, but they are really little--not in school yet. I would just look up statistics in different areas, but the closer you are to the city, the less likely you'll have problems and the more diversity you'll see IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• This might be a good tool to use to compare different towns in the area.

I pulled up Murfreesboro as an example. It's a fairly diverse medium sized, college town about 30 minutes from Nashville.

Neighborhood Scout: Murfreesboro, TN
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do, but I'm looking for answers from people who have lived or is currently living in Tennessee.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have heard that Memphis had a lot of crime and I want to stay away for obvious reasons. I know I have to do a lot of research, but I can't seem to find a good southern state to move to. I am concerned that a lot of the southern states still have narrow-minded views and I don't want to deal with that. I'm not saying that all southerners are narrow-minded, but I know it is more of an issue down south.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks, JeremysMom, for the info on Chattanooga because I actually started doing some research about this city. I don't have a son, though, I have a girl.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011