How can I thaw my pipes so I have water in my kitchen? UPDATE!

The pipes in my kitchen are frozen and I have no water coming from my sink. I do, however, have water upstairs in the bathroom.

I've tried using a blow dryer on the pipes under the sink, but to no avail. I really don't want to have to go into my basement because I have no idea what I am looking for or if it will even work(my basement smells awful and is so cold and I can't stand it down there). Is there any easier way to thaw the pipes without going down there?

Well, my DS isn't very helpful. I was down there earlier trying to thaw what I thought was the right pipes, but he wouldn't tell me if we had water and after ten minutes, I gave up and tried under the sink, instead. My MIL is coming down in an hour so we can run some errands, so maybe she'll stick around and help me out.

Oh, and this happened on Saturday, too. The landlord thawed the pipes with a blow dryer, so I assume it's possible. The pipes are this weird plastic material, not metal or copper. If my MIL can't help me, I'm going to call my landlord again.

Leaving the cabinets open for the heat to reach them doesn't work because we have a draft that needs fixing in the kitchen, so it makes that room the coldest in the house.  The landlord is going to have someone come put weather stripping in sometime soon

I did have to call my landlord and he brought a small electric space heater for down in the basement.  I have water again, and now I have a heater in case this happens again.  Hopefully there will be no more -6 degree weather here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Not if that's where the frozen pipes are. We have a heating tape that we put on our pipes to help keep them from freezing(but they are in the basement)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If its that cold in the basement that might be where the pipes are frozen. Are those close to the wall and away from the ones going upstairs? You might have to take the hair dryer to those.

As far as what you looking for just go to the area in the basement where your kitchen is water pipes should be pretty easy to spot.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Ok... the blow dryer is about the only suggestion you will mostly get... it is the safest way...
    you could possibly put a space heater in your basement to warm the basement up...
    BUT KEEP AN EYE ON IT AND DO NOT PUT IT CLOSE TO FLAMMABLE ITEMS...
    Also DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH A FLAME... NO BLOW TORCH of any kind...
    Open all of your cabinet doors to allow the heat thru your house to help also...
    It takes a lot of time to get those pipes thawed and once thawed, wrap them in
    thermal wrap also if this is a problem for you, leave a small stream of water running
    24/7 during sever cold snaps, this helps prevent pipes from freezing...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The pipes are probably frozen in the basement... looks like your going to have to go down there and use the blow-dryer!! Your gonna have to suck it up and take care of it no matter how gross your basement is.... b/c if you wait to long the pipes could burst. Then you only thought your basement was nasty!! Once you get them defrosted you might want to leave the water on, just so it's trickling... that way they won't freeze again.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You're going to need a lot more heat than a blow dryer, for one - we had to use a blow-torch to thaw out our pipe. And also, you may have leaks once they're thawed. Do you have anyone you can call for help? Are you renting? - then call the landlord, it's his responsibility. S/O, brother, neighbor, friend - anyone else, if you own? Frozen pipes are not easy to deal with, and there isn't a quick easy fix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is no easy fix for this one.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Don't use a a blow torch if they are PVC pipes.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Since you said this has happened before as some one mentioned you can leave you water on just a tad when you know its going to get cold. They also sell pipe insulation that will help avoid the issue. It wraps around the pipes.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Try a space heater if you have one, thats what my parents do when the pipes in the garage freeze. And leaving the water on just a bit when its going to get really cold is a good idea too I have to do that a lot or mine freeze and the bad part is mine are mostly inside.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• dont know what to do once the pipes freeze but i have heard to prevent them from freezing, leave the cabinet door open so the heat will reach the pipes. im in Texas so i really have no idea....
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011