Where did you get support or from who to help with breastfeeding your baby?

Just wondering since I would like to when my baby is born. I formula fed my son because I really had no support or anyone close to me with any knowledge of breastfeeding and frankly my Mom persuaded me not to since she didn't. With my Son, I did go to a breastfeeding class before he was born for the basics but I really needed someone with me to help in the beginning and didn't. So where did you get help from?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hospitals have lactation consultants that would be able to help you in the hospital and after.

http://www.llli.org/   La Leche League has local meetings and support as well.

I think if you searched you would find some support on CM as well.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Nurses in the hospital is all I had, but everyone around was supportive, just not helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Find a lactation consultant or peer support. Medela has Mom Mavens, which is online support from real breastfeeding moms and formerly breastfeeding moms.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• When my son was first born I was like huh uh, not going to breast feed.  I had planned to my entire pregnancy but then once he was here I was very uncomfortable with the idea.  I felt like a freaking pervert.  My husband said the most reasonable thing that changed everything.  He said "if you don't breast feed, your milk will go away and you won't have another chance to.  If you at least try, then you'll know for sure whether it freaks you out or feels uncomfortable".  For whatever reason, it worked.  I tried, didn't feel like a pervert, and walllahhhh all 3 of my kids have been breast fed.  He would rub the baby's face to keep them awake while feeding.  Very supportive in his quiet "I know everything" type of way, lmfao!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• OH that's so true Charis76.  You will DEFINITELY get a lot of breastfeeding support here.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You can contact the LaLeche League, they have support people all over the country. Your local hospital likely has a program to support breastfeeding moms as well. Your OB is a good resource too (either with someone on his staff, or knowing where to get support in your area.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• As soon as you get into the hospital contact the lactation consultant on staff. They know EVERYTHING! The nurses at the hospital where I delivered gave me all the wrong information, and I found out that none of them had ever even done it before. Every single one of them told me I was doing it wrong, because it hurt. Obviously they had never attatched a vacuum cleaner to their nipple :)
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i also had no help or support or knowlage,,everyone in my family thought i was wierd for doing it becouse no one i ever knew breasfed..the wic office even tried talking me out of breastfeeding..crazy right! i researched on my own on the internet...i only have one child but i think that it made our bond stronger..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• La Leche League and an awesome nurse.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• And the last anon is an idiot.
    Melbornj