Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

stupid question

stay at home mom, single, no income
i can not file taxes for child credit unless i have income?
i know my ex boyfriends sister does every year and gets money back and she has not worked for years, but she does get child support, is this why she can get 1000 back from IRS and I can not??

does this sound right?

so i get no child support and get no child credit (TAXES), while she gets child support so she gets money back from taxes? or do you think she has made another loop hole
any help?
is there a way I can get child credit when i had no taxable
income from last year


Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I don't believe you can file taxes if you have no income - child support isn't included in taxable income (alimony is). Have you looked at the website? They have a fantastic Q&A section.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • just got off phone with irs
    very nice, no hold time and said i had no income, so no child credit
    i know exes sister gets money back every year, she does not work, only income is child support
    so what loop hole could she be using
    can not ask her-she is a drunk/drug addict who i am very glad not to hvae contact with anymore

    i have a bit of interest from bank account and life insurance policy, this will be just a bit...any other way i can claim some taxable income to be able to get the 1000 child credit?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • If you have no income that has taxes with held you cannot file for taxes. Is she going somewhere to have her taxes filed or is she doing it herself? Maybe she has a small work from home job or something? If so then supplies she buys for it are taxable and she can file on that.

    Answer by Memigen at 11:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • And if she is cheating the system then this is not something you want to get involved in yourself because it will come back to bite her in the ass later on.

    Answer by Memigen at 11:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • the exes sisters only job is drinking until she passesout, getting money from her youngest childs father to buy booze and pot
    she has no job, no other source of income
    but i know she is "rich" after taxes come back, because she always says she has lots of money after she gets txes back

    talked to irs, i win "tie breaker" over childs father becuase we have not lived with him in months, so me-mom has had child more time in last year-irs words) so if i do not file, he can use her ss number get 1000, and still not paying any child support, does not seem too fair!

    any loop holes?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • she is probably having someone else claim the child/children. saying they have taken care of child for at least 7 months of the year. people do it all the time. its illegal. but they do it.

    Answer by sandjmom99 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Maybe she's claiming self-employment income? Or maybe like the PP said she is having someone else claim them.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011