dog obedience training

Have any of you ever tried this? I know the rates will vary from state to state. Were you happy with the results and was it very expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Not all obedience trainers are effective or knowledgeable, or experienced for that matter. Fees vary from trainer to trainer. I would recommend asking your vet for a list of recommended trainers. If your vet doesn't have one, call around and find one who does. Then call the trainer and ask if you can come watch a training class, but do not bring your dog to that class. Every trainer has a different style, and different methods. Arrive 20 min. early and talk to students enrolled in the class, find out if they are happy with the trainer.

If possible I would avoid the big pet store chains, most of their trainers are not experienced, in addition the pet store corporations place rules on their trainers for the good image of the store and marketing, thus not really allowing them full freedom to make honest recommendations regarding training and behavior.

$100-$200 for a basic 6-10 week session is what you can expect to pay.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i personally dont do and train at home but alot of people do it either because they dont know how to train or had a difficult dog to train and for socializing. but my dogs all know basic commands and a few extras.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I take mine to class- we LOVE it! I have one in a puppy kindergarten class and my other is in begining agility class. We have done regular obedience and canine good citizen classes in the past too with other dogs.

Are you talking about going to a class or have a "personal" trainer? We pay 85 dollars for 8 weeks of classes. Great way to socialize for you and your pet. I would also recommend staying away from the chain stores though- most places around the country have specialized dog training facilities. Hope that helps!
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• 85 for 8 weeks is a bargain around here!

Good for you, taking your dogs to school!

Agility is great fun, I had one of the top dogs in the nation in agility, many, many moons ago. It is really great exercise for you and your dog! I hope to return to that sport in the next year or two, I really miss it. What breed(s) is your dog Joisie?

Yes, a bad quality class is a good socialization and a place to practic at best. A quality training class is invaluable!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I used to work at one. Alway observe the classes of the differant schools. If they have several differant trainers go to the differant classes because every trainer is differant even if they teach the same method. Around her class are about 110 for 8 weeks.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had a beautiful tri color registered cocker spaniel and i took him to obedience classes once. he didn't live to go back. the instructor used him as an example of an unruley hyper dog. he yanked up so hard on the leash that my poor dog was choking and choking and i took him to the vet and he died. sob sob i didnt sue the instructor because he is a preacher in our community. but i will never ever take a dog to a trainer again. is it ok to hate a preacher? i know, i know, u shouldnt hate anyone. but i really, really dislike him. he said that is how he trains his german shepards he breeds for police dogs. i would hate to see if he had a yorkie in there. he would rip it's head off
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011