Is my son too big?

he is 22lbs at 5 months and only breastfed

let me say I am not that worried but i can't say it has not been on my mind

tugglesmom

Asked by tugglesmom at 11:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had a very big baby too and i breastfed..she was in her 98 percentile for her wieght,,dont worry,,he is healthy and will slim down when he starts moving around better..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What does his doctor day about it?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• the doc says he is fine but i dont get to choose my dr i was wondering what other people thought
    tugglesmom

Comment by tugglesmom (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son is only breastfed and was 22 lbs at 9 months but he has maintained that weight since then. He is now 11 months. Sounds like he is fine as it is nearly impossible to overfeed a breastfed baby!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my daughter is 6 1/2 months old and over 22lbs. she is breastfed also, she just started daily solids about a week ago. she is perfectly healthy, her gain has slowed down since she is becoming more mobile.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Where did he start? I usually go from there.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• He does sound like a big boy, but it isn't something I would worry about. All of mine (except the last) were big babies but once they became more active the weight would start to even out with their height and they would slim down.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• when he was born he was 8.3
    tugglesmom

Comment by tugglesmom (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son is also a big baby. He is 9 months now, he has always been off the charts for height and weight. My doc said as long an the height keeps up with the weight then there is nothing to worry about. He was 8.4lbs and 21inces at birth. At one month he was 12lbs 8 oz., at 2 months he was 15lbs 13oz., at 4 months he was 19lbs 10oz., at 6 months he was 21lbs 3oz., and at his 9 month checkup last week he was 23lbs 9oz. Once he starts crawling the weight gain will slow down, dont worry. I had alot of people tell me I was over feeding him, but he always eats the same as other babies his age. I worried for months that I was doing something wrong but my doctor told me he was perfectly healthy. I wish i would have listened to the doctor all along.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Breastfed babies can't overeat, so as long as he's otherwise healthy, I would not worry. I also would not worry when he slows down or stops gaining, because he probably will slow down quite a bit, and probably soon, and once he becomes mobile (crawling/walking) he might even lose a LITTLE.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011