Getting too big for his newborn carseat??

My son is almost 9mths. hes about 30" and 22lbs..the car seat i think holds up to 22lbs, so I think its time for a new one. Do u kno of any that I can use that i can still use when hes a toddler too? if they even exist?i dont want to have to keep buying new carseats every growth spurt u kno?

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• convertible carseat.

they face backwards until baby is 1 year old, then you switch them around to face forwards. they are easy to find. you can find them to go up to 80 lbs.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Get a 3 in 1 convertible car seat. Make sure it goes from rear facing, to forward facing, to booster seat. I got a really nice Eddie Bauer one from Amazon that will go all the way up to 80 lbs as a booster seat for $80. It's the last car seat we'll ever buy.

Along with the weight limits, there shouldn't be less than an inch of hard plastic above his head. My infant seat only goes up to 29 lbs, so my DS is going to be too tall before he's too heavy.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Let me know what you find! I'm starting to research, as my two-month old is over 15 ounds already! Augh!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:26 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• we have the eddie bauer one at target, it started out as his newborn seat and will go up to a booster seat for a 100 lbs child. We have a stroller with the carrier so we used that but we were in a car accident, and then you have to turn over the one that was in use, ( law) so we just threw in Eddie, and our son loves it... and i am so glad that i picked it out.. i did it, cause if you buy a car seat for every stage... its like 400 bucks, so i went with the all in one... you can remove belts and pads, as your child grows.. plus, it looks nice, and has a cup/snack holder.. good luck, there are a ton of models.. my son is 4 months, 18 lbs, and 29" long...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I got that one too, in the brown...my daughter has to be turned around early because she has such long legs. she was over 20 lbs but she doesn't turn one until next month. its a great car seat! we should of gotten that one first!!! it would of saved us some money for sure. She's well over 2 feet long...almost as tall as a two year old.
    Mrs.Jane

Answer by Mrs.Jane at 2:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes, there are lots of convertable car seats out there are are rear facing up to 35 lbs. Costco makes several (i use them) as do other companies. I havea costco alpha omega which is rear facing, forward facing and a booster. My mom has the costco scerena which is rear facing and forward facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It's good to look for a seat that RF, and then FF, but finding one that boosters as well, I've heard bad reviews ALL THE TIME on those. You should look for a seat that RF to at least 30 lbs, pref 35, and FF to at least 50, pref 65 lbs. Boosters are inexpensive, and you can easily get a good one when the time comes. Your child needs to remain RF until AT LEAST 1 year and 20 lbs, preferably longer, until 30/35 lbs. I prefer my kids to be harnessed FF until at least 65lbs before even thinking about a booster.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Here is a new one that is great - takes them from 22 lbs to booster... http://www.albeebaby.com/the-first-years-true-fit-convertible-car-seat.html Think there are other brands like this one...
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 5:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You need a convertible seat. This is one that will rear-facing AND forward face. Baby's need to remain rear-facing for as long as possible even after a year. PM me and I'll give you a good list of convertibles. I do NOT recommend the 3-1 seats. They are a major waste of money IMO. I've dealt with hundreds of them (and I mean that literally), and they are just plain flat out crap. I've been a carseat tech for almost 8 years, so I have lots of experience. :)
    carseatmom

Answer by carseatmom at 7:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2008