how many moms?

when ur child is sick and they start to fill better do you give them the rest of there medication. my child gets sick every 2 yrs since she had tubes put in. she takes antibotic she feeling better so i kinda slacked off the medication. my mom did that to me when i was young how many other moms do it to????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• You should give her the antibiotic until it's gone.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have learned the hard way with prescriptions from the doctor that you always finish off the meds, otherwise there is a risk for infection to come back. I have an 18 yr old so we are talking about lots of years of experience here,,lol

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I always finish out their meds.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I didn't see the point in giving them the rest of the meds when they were already better.  That only happened once.  My son had an ear infection and he was better, Dr. said it had cleared up.  I didn't finish the meds.  The ear infection came back.  Now, I finish out all of the meds.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I give it to them until its gone. I know its easy for us to think oh they are feeling better, but they have to take it all in order to both get rid of the infection and help with their immunity.

Answer by gemgem at 11:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I've quit giving it to them once they started to feel better but there has been a few times when the infection came back and other times I never finished the meds and it cleared up and they were fine
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You should ALWAYS finish antibiotics everytime they're given.

Here's an article from the Mayo Clinic about misuse of antibiotics, not finishing them is one of them...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075/METHOD=print
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• With Antibiotics (or ABT), give them until they are gone. As a nurse I know how bad this can be. If you don't finish out the antibiotic, there is a chance, that although they are feeling better, the infection is not gone completely. Here is what can happen:

Since the infection may not be completely gone, so it comes back and sometimes a little worse than before. Well now the ABT doesn't work because the infection became immune to it - so NOW you have to find a different ABT to treat it (which the body can build an immunity to). IF you do this a lot, this can be a problem later on! They may end up getting an infection that they can't get rid off, because the body has built up an immunity to many different ABTs. And the infection that they get may not be sensitive to many options!

It is MORE harmful to NOT finish out your ABTs. Non-antibiotics are different. You can usually stop those whenever!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• your suppose to give them all their medicine even if they feel better. i guess there are some moms that do that
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 11:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would def finish the meds.....otherwise u may nt totally get rid of thr infection and she will start feeling bad agiin.B has had tubes twice so kno wht ur going through nt fun
    Bsmommy213

Answer by Bsmommy213 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011