Did I give birth to monkeys or children?!

SO...... my brother in law was here MONTHS ago for a visit.  He brought the mother of his child.  I thought we were all having a nice time.  I made the statement to my hub, "did I give birth to monkeys or children".  We laughed and moved on.  We both make the joke quite often because like most other kids, they are all climbers.  My brother in law and his gf (she was pregnant at the time of their last visit) are due for another visit in a couple of weeks and his gf is refusing to come because their child is mixed and I am a racist for calling my children monkeys.  Ladies, I called her and explained to her what I mean't.  She still won't come. And um hello, my husband is black and my children are mixed also.  Do you get offended if someone calls their children monkeys or is this common?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• you know shes takeing this to personaly dont worry about it thats funny though my daughters mexican an my whole family calls her beaner baby! as a term of endearment you know lol
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I refer to my kids as monkeys for the same reason, they climb and get into everything. She needs to relax and get over the whole racist thing.
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think they are being way sensitive I am white and my kids are too and I call them monkeys all the time. Sorry but its just silly calling you racist that word shouldn't be thrown around lightly.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i call my child a monkey for the same reason... maybe she just took it the wrong way and wont believe what u say... so what, let her stay home.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That is ridiculous LOL! My children are both mixed, my ex (there father) is black, and even HE calls them monkeys because they are WILD lol! I hope you get to meet that little baby soon though...and she gets out of her feelings =( goodluck.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Haha. My son is mixed and I still call him a monkey all the time. Hell, he was a monkey for Halloween last year! I don't see anything wrong with it if it isn't intentionally racist. I was out with my mom one day and we ran into a guy she knew and introduced him to my son and the guy said something like "aw, aren't you a little monkey! you remind me of my nephew!" and I didn't think anything of it at all, but later my mom said that although she knows he didn't mean anything by it he should have thought before saying that? I guess, but honestly I didn't even think twice because I knew what the guy meant and I didn't find it offensive. Plus, although my son is darker than I am I don't think he really "looks black". But I guess some people don't think the same way as me!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• wow talk about her being petty and immature! I call my kids monkey's too because they climb and get into EVERYTHING lol If she wants to be petty and immature like that I say just ignore her since you tried to be nice and explain that you weren't being racist. And personally if your hubby says it and laughs then he's not using it racist either. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones but just ignore her and go about your business that's what I would do. Just make sure you try to be nice to her and keep the lines of communication open with her.
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 11:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think they are being sensitive and taking it the wrong way, I had a friend who had mixed kids and she was always calling them her little monkeys. I call mine monkeys although mine aren't mixed.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Not at all. It isn't racist or offending, but one of my friends is like that.
    MoreMia

Answer by MoreMia at 12:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• she's probably reacting out of the hormones. You should have seen the emails I got when my SIL was last pregnant!

I had to remove her from my social sites because she was so paranoid about everything. She went to far at one point to accuse me of causing her drama because I said so little at a dinner at her house! calling me passive aggressive. Sending threats as to what I would force her to do if I didn't stop the drama that she kept 'sensing from me'

I'd just give it some time personally.
    if people want to find something to take issue with, they'll find it, trust me!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011