How do i put up with the MIL?

I don't know why but when ever im around my MIL i get angry and annoyed. Everything she does or says just gets to me. I cant be in the same room for more than five hours if that. I want to like her for my DH's sake but there is just something about her that's off. What can i do to shake these feelings?

Shortma197

Asked by Shortma197 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I direct the conversations when I am around mine. She has learned and so have I over time what conversations are alright and which arent. If I change the subject she knows its my last nerve she is rattling. You can also try talking to her, and if you end up having it out with her actually it helps lol. Thats how we ended up with ground rules,

Answer by gemgem at 11:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Use the "fake it until you make it" theory, lol.  Tell yourself that you are going to give her a chance and then try to.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Fake it 'til you make it is always sound advice! Until, of course, you can't fake it any longer because a) you genuinely feel good about it or b) you have a psuychotic breakdown from faking genuine good feelings. Perhaps you could think about common ground and start by fostering that. Do you both like pedicures? Schedule one together and then have lunch or dessert.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Do a little introspection. Sit down and make a list of your traits and your MIL's. Look at things like temperament, how you each deal with similar situations, habits, etc. It may surprise you to learn that the two of you are more similar than you think. It may also surprise you to learn that the things about her that anger you are also the things about which you anger yourself. You might also look for the jealousy factor, although none of us like to admit that's even a possibility. I've just lived long enough to know that somehow anger is usually a clue that's something wrong with me. There may also be something "wrong" with the other person, but I should not allow that to make me angry. So do a little soul-searching and I bet you will come up with some answers.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Think about how much you love your child, and how you will feel someday if their spouse can't stand to be around you. She loves and raised your husband....that makes her worth loving....and I'm sure he loves her. It isn't always easy, but try to remember that someday you will be in her shoes....and it happens before you know it!!

*hugs*
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• *psychotic*
    misses_nick