What is going on? Why isn't my daughter growing?

My 3 year old has been small from before she was born. She was 6 pounds for almost 2 months before she was born and was born at 6 pounds. The doctor's explanation? "She's petite and will be her entire life more than likely."

Okay.... so I think that's acceptable.

Well, she hasn't been growing as fast as other children and stays in the lower percentiles for her age group. Doctor's explanation? "She's petite and will be her entire life more than likely."

Now in the past few months she hasn't been sick and has lost weight rather than gained it. She hasn't grown any in height and has been eating normally. I have her an appointment to be re-weighed and measured on Friday (earliest they had)....

But what are the possibilities? What could be wrong? What should we be looking for?

Has anyone else ever gone through this? It is a constant struggle to keep weight on her. She is an active child and possibly ADHD (she is almost four and has had symptoms her whole life) but I don't feel like her activity is enough to cause this type of weight loss and inability to gain weight issues.

I'm highly concerned.

FYI: She is only 27 pounds and will be 4 April 5th.  I'm not 100% sure on her height.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 11:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are really all kinds of different reason for her lack of growth. She could have GHD(growth hormone deficiency) She may be just be slow to grow. I have a 5 year old that is 33inches tall and about 33lbs.....he has a form of dwarfism called Achondroplasia. Since you are not getting the answers you seek from your Dr., I'd suggest a different Dr. sine she is losing weight. A simple blood test can determine a GHD problem. If that doesn't show up, I would then ask for a geneticist to further evaluate her.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 12:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Not a clue but another doctor would be my first option.

Here's a bump.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my son had similar issues. At birth he was 6 pounds 8 ounces and 21 inches. His first year he fell completely off the growth chart and his ped recommended seeing an endocinologist. Unfort. we moved overseas. It took us until he was 4 to start testing and at 5 he was found to have a pituitary issue and was not making his own growth hormone. At 5 he was in a 3t. Mention you'd like her growth hormone levels tested. Not a pretty or fun test. If you have questions you can friend me here or on facebook and we can talk. AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS HER PROBLEM JUST SOMETHING YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son was born a month early, so he was low birth weight and low percentile for the first year anyway, but he dropped down into the 12th percentile in his 2nd year. Our doctor insisted on a blood draw and a full panel of tests. My solution: Daily vitamins. I put him on daily vitamins for kids. The panel came back negative for everything except low iron. I switched him to a vitamin that had iron added to it, and he gained weight. He will always be small, but he's back up in percentile. He's 3 and 3mos now, weighs 30lbs and is 37 inches tall. Some kids just don't grow much, but remember there are periods when children plateau. They reach a certain height and weight, and stop growing for a while. This time is usually spent developing brains :D As long as she is developmentally appropriate mentally, I wouldn't worry.

Some concerns can be Celiacs disease ( lack of absorption of nutrients.) or anemia. GL! I hope she's ok.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son is 3 and always been overly active / highly active I should say and while he didn't lose weight, in 1 full calendar year, he went from 30lbs to 30.6 lbs..nothing medically wrong either.. my parents even joke that he burns off each calorie/ bite he eats... I say maybe get a second or even third opinion with a new Ped.. it never hurts. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my 4 year old has similar issues, the only difference is she is growing in height. and that seems to be her problem, she's growing up but not out (gaining weight). she hasn't gained a pound since june of 10. doctors are concerned about that, but also "she is petite and will always be" is the same answer i always get. now though, they've told me to start giving her carnation instant breakfast, mixed with whole milk, twice a day, WITH meals. this is suppose to help her gain weight. my daughter is also very active, and does eat, she will eat anything you put in front of her. the problem, she eats like a bird. she eats really small portions of everything. except lately, she's been eating everything and still hungry (growth spurt i suppose).

she is turning 5 in october, currently weights 32 pounds and is 41.5 inches tall. 3% weight, 75% height. her proportions are so out of whack, which is where the concern lies.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• she was also 6 pounds at birth. .
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011