I have a 2 week old and i have been breastfeeding but i am wanting to switch to formula anyone know whats the best ways to do this?

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 12:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say just start supplementing.. like when its time to feed do breatmilk.. then formula.. like every other feeding then slowly increase the formula times till no more breastmilk but i personally never breastfed so i dont know..
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Replace one nursing session with formula. You may need to have someone else give the formula since baby knows where the 'tap' is and may not take formula from you. Once you have done one feeding change, in 3-4 days work on another feeding. that way you will not get as engorged by stopping all together.

Can I ask why you don't want to nurse anymore?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I didn't gradually introduce formula to my kids. I just did it. My son was on breast milk for 4.5. weeks. 31/2 weeks of miserablly trying to nurse and 1 week of expressed milk but then I got mastitis so was done done done. I didn't do it gradually, I just went full blown formula then about 3 weeks later switching to soy because he was lactose sensitive. My daughter I only BF for about a week, then she went directly to soy. Eventhough I didn't switch gradually, I think it's probably the easiest way and the baby's little tummy will have an easier time adjusting
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Best on your body to do it gradually, replacing one nursing session per week with formula. You can do it many different ways, but the method I mentioned is the most gradual, therefore you will be less likely to become painfully engorged, and less likely to get breast infection.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If you you don't mind, why are you wanting to stop? Often we think there is a problem that will be solved by weaning and it simply isn't true.

If you really really want to quit, then replace one session per week with a bottle of formula until you're not nursing anymore. If you get engorged, then go slower.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree that if you're stopping because you think there is a problem, it's best to share what's going on, many of us can help you determine (a) if there truly IS a problem, and (b) how to resolve it if there IS one. If you're switching purely because YOU WANT TO, then no need to answer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011