Should I sleep with my baby when they come? adult content

My mom says that they say you shouldn't sleep with them, because you could roll over, and I don't even want to think about that. But, will they sleep in there cribs?

MoreMia

Asked by MoreMia at 12:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I remember being the hospital and the nurse came in and told me a new mom in the hospital decided to sleep with her few-day-old child and she rolled over on him/her and smothered it. So I wouldn't suggest it. But it would benefit you if the child didn't sleep with you because then they won't like to sleep away from you which sounds great but if you would like an intimate act to happen you would have to deal with getting your child to sleep in their own bed. I did sleep with my child on my chest when she was a newborn and I could never get her to sleep on her own for a long long time. It was a pain that I could have avoided but I just didn't want hear her cry.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Be prepared for a debate on this question. This is something you will have to decide for yourself. FOR ME, I wasn't comfortable with it, and couldn't sleep because I was paranoid.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You have to do what works for YOU! I dont think the books recommend it but co sleepers will for sure! Mine all slept fine in the cradle and yep there was plenty of times that I did fall asleep with them in the bed with me...just see what works for you!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree with Musicmom80. I was always too scared.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That is a personal choice period. IF you have a husband or SO living with you, then it should be a JOINT decision. Personally, I didn't really let my kids sleep with me as newborns. A few hours at a time for me when they were just a few weeks old. But we had a waterbed at the time, and I was terrified of rolling over and smothering my baby, granted it's VERY rare, but I wouldn't do it. That and I knew I wouldn't get any real sleep if my kids were in bed with me, and real sleep is REALLY important to me lol. My son outgrew his bassonette when he was 2 weeks old, so off to his room he went. We put my daughter in her crib when she was 5 weeks old, I didnt' wake up once. She was a noisy sleeper and I woke with every little noise she made next to me in the bassonette. My kids also slept through the night very early too. They cherised sleep as much as I did lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Best to have a basinet for about the first month---that way you can have them close by---but no, not in your bed---your mom is right---and I do know of a young couple that moved into their first home and did not have the crib up, the baby died that night---either crib death or rollover---it was labeled as SID---but it was horrible for them.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 12:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• With my 1st he slept in his crib in his room and I had a baby monitor. With #2 and #3 I had a basinette in my bedroom and when they outgrew that (around 4 months) they went right into the crib in their room. If you want the baby in bed with you then I would look for some type of co-sleeping bed device or attachment-- that way your baby is 'safe' (from being rolled on) but is still right there with you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You have to do what works best for you and your baby, which isn't something you can always decide ahead of time. Before I had my first, I had decided that I wouldn't co-sleep. He ended up being my co-sleeper, because it was the only way any of us could get any sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time. After that, I assumed I would co-sleep with my second, but he would not do it. He would nurse and then wait to be put down. He ended up being a crib sleeper.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• they sell baby beds for that that go between you and your partner. and I did sometimes sleep with my son when I saw super exhausted and would breasfeed him in bed, or when he just needed cuddles, and the time we lost electricity...and honestly i never once roll on him because I held him in such a way that it'd be impossible to do that that without hurting myself in the process
    stephanieplante

Answer by stephanieplante at 1:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes I would. I do still and my son is 3. It is far more likely that his dad will roll over on him than you as you will be much more sensitive to your baby's presence especially if you are breastfeeding (but this is something you can work round and the dad will eventually get used to the baby's presence). It will give you the ability to rest up more (rather than completely disturbing your sleep by having to get out of bed and attend to your child) as well as letting your baby rest up more (they will just wiggle and be a little restless to let you know they want to feed as opposed to screaming for your attention in their crib because they don't know where you are). You need all the rest you can get in the first few months so I vote sleep with your baby!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011