losing weight

need healthy recipies to lose weight for myself as well as my family. im on a tight budget but the usual weight loss recipies arent enough and my kids wont eat.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 12:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I keep it simple. Low fat meat & veggies. I switch up the veggies every night. Tonight, we're having chicken burrito's...no cheese, low fat sour cream, salsa fresca & black beans...i might throw some avocado in there. Some nights it's fish, or a small steak, or a super low fat burger made with turkey, or lean meat. You can also do grilled chicken sandwiches with oven baked potatoes. We have potatoes every night & they're to die for.

Just toss some potatoes in a little olive oil & throw garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt & pepper. You can add other spices if you want. Super low fat & DD says they taste better than french fries.

For veggies, i switch it up. We'll have grilled squash, salad, oven fried okra, spinach, sauted kale, i just buy all kinds of veggies & make them as low fat as i can. The more simple, the better.

I make lots of soups too...soups are easy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Have the veggies take up half the plate, pair it up with a lean protein like grilled or baked chicken, fish or lean pork and beef, and have a small portion of a healthier carb....no more white carbs such as potatoes, white rice & pasta. And it can save money because most "meat" portions are double what they need to be....when you cut back to an actual portion you use less. Frozen veggies can be very economical, but look into having a garden and growing as much as you can this Spring/Summer or visit Farmer's Markets and stock up, can, preserve and freeze what you can to last the rest of the year.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I just found White Chili. It is made with Chicken and White Kidney beans, It was awesome and not a lot to make.
    BTW The potatoes the PP said is great.
    Jillysmom

Answer by Jillysmom at 1:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• soup, lean meat and veggies, veggies stir fry
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Mom2Jack04 makes a very good point...when you see what an actual portion size is, you DO end up saving money. And, if you do the proper number of veggies in a day, portioned out, it should be enough to fill you. As for the kids not eating it? I'm kind of a hard ass now...my daughter would not TOUCH vegetables. I now put two on her plate and, she doesn't HAVE to eat them, but she'll get nothing else to eat BUT what is on her plate. She's almost 4....she now at least eats HALF of her vegetables. She's in no danger of starving either ;)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• baked chicken. . . . it's kinda gross, but it's easy and only requires chicken. Maybe some salt and pepper would help.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• well, your kids should eat just as healthy as you are, don't give them a choice... and healthy food is no more expensive than crap food...
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree with PP's. Good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Buy whole foods, vegs, fruit, potatoes, rice, eggs, lean meats (and in moderation).
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011