Had Bronchytis 2 wks before Thanksgiving..........

I got put on meds for it, and it did help a little. I also quit smoking at that time, because I was having a hard time catching my breath and I was hacking my lungs up anyway (bc of the bronchytis) (Sorry if I spelled that wrong) Anyway, I'm still finding myself waking up at least 1-2 times a wk, coughing and wheezing really bad, to the pt. where I have to sleep sitting up so that I can breath better. Sometimes I get wheezy during the day as well and have a hard time catching my breath. I took my baby in for a checkup and asked the dr. about it, and he said that it could be post bronchyal something or other, and that it takes a few mo. for your lungs to truly start clearing out from smoking (or something) and if I was still having prob. to make an appt. in 2 wks (this was the beginning of Jan.) and he might have to put me on an inhaler. When I get wheezy, I feel like only half of my airway is clear, and it makes such weird noises when I breath in. My question is can you develope asthma later on in life, and could that be what i have. My dh smokes and I seem to be worse around it. And are inhalers easy to use? sorry it was so long.

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• Did they test you for Mono and Pertussis? Both have those symptoms and are often mistaken by doctors for bronchitis. Both of these conditions last for months on end, seem to get better then come back.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No, he just said that it was Bronchitis, and he he gave me an antibiotic for it. I guess I should make an appt soon and ask about it, especially since I have a 6 mo.
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would go back to the doc. Mostly bronchitis is a viral infection, so antibiotics don't do anything. Have you tried taking mucinex? If you have phlegm in your upper brochs that could be causing problems. But the wheezing is whats concerning me. I would go back to the doc asap before it turns into pnemonia
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Bonchitis is not viral, it's bacterial.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011