Volunteering

I am interested in vounteering because it is a great way to help people in need and make new friends at the same time. I also want to involve my daughter so that she can learn to give to others in need. How many of you volunteer?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I've done various volunteer jobs, many with my kids. I don't know how old your daughter is, but here are some of the things we've done over the years:

Made favors to be distributed with meals on wheels.

Made Christmas gift bags for children at a shelter.

Made stockings for and Indian reservation

Taught craft classes to children while their parents helped build a community playground.

Served sandwiches at the park for low income children.

Volunteered to help kids learn to read at our local elementary.

My son volunteered for Whale Watches

One of my sons volunteered at our local library

One of my sons volunteered at our local historical society- they had him summarize archived items on the computer.

We have visited elderly people in rest homes.

I always volunteered at our kids schools, pta, helping teachers grade papers, working with kids in small
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do as often as I can. I moved to this area ins 04 and didnt know many people and it has been a good way to meet people. Now my youngest is 5 so I have other outlets but still do volunteering for the school, her sports teams etc.

Answer by gemgem at 12:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I voulnteer. Sometimes I feel like once you get your name on that list it is impossible to get off and the same people are volunteering over and over again. I LOVE doing my part dont get me wrong, i just have to tae breaks sometimes because their are always people who do no work and sit back and complain which gets draining. I have been a girl scout leader for the last 4 years and I love it! I am always working at my dds school events and sports events too. I htink the most rewarding is serving at a soup kitchen and helping the truly needy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I am the secretary for the kids booster program at school. I volunteer lots of hours to that program. I am an example for my kids and it helps out the program as well.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have signed myself up three times and each time they thanked me for volunteering and turned me down because there are so many volunteers where I live. Funny so many people want to help and they turn them away.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would like to hear more about volunteering situations where children from 7 up can be involved in. Many of the animal situations whon't allow children.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do at a local group home and I bring my so because I want him to learn to help others who don't have. I have gotten alot of slack about it but the kids with the most issues seem to protect him more then the staff there thought. He has made one of the girls who wanted a kid (she's14) decide to go to school and get married before having sex. I am not saying that things are always rosy but I get a great feeling and kids who would never experirence my kind of life get to through me.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 6:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I volunteer sometimes but I find its hard to find someone who invites children to come and volunteer as well. If you are a member of a church they may welcome children
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you could volunteer at a hospital giving people directions to places, your daughter could be a candy striper, my daughter did that and she was so proud. animal shelter's always need help and kids love it. my niece did it until she graduated and then went to college to be a vet tech. i volunteer at church. we made candy kisses favors for the candle light ceremony. there are so many things out there to do. i think it's great you want to do this with your daughter. when my kids where young we picked a family in need and went Christmas shopping for them. her husband left her pregnant and with 3 small kids. my fiance own the house she rented and he let us sneak in and put the stuff under the treat. she was so happy she cried. my kids still remember and try to do for others. God Bless
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011