How much is too much sleep for a 16 month old?

My dd sleeps 12 hours at night and takes 2 naps that range between 2-3 hours per day. I have brought her to the doctors and mentioned this quite a few times but nobody seems to really seem concerned. But then I have other people telling me that this is not normal for a child her age.

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think there is such a thing as too much sleep - if you sleep lots your body needs it - there can be many reasons for this. Our diet can affect our sleep - if we have a heavily processed diet then we tend to need more sleep. Digestion takes up a LOT of energy and we need to replenish this with sleep. If you exercise a lot then you tend to need more sleep too. There are plenty of other things that can affect your sleep too.

My son tends to sleep more in the Winter. In fact recently he has started having a nap again because its so cold and depressing. He is 3.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Each child is different. Some need more sleep than others. If she is otherwise happy, eating well, and active I would not worry about it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My daughter is 3 and she still naps. My daughter will nap 2.5 hours and goes to bed at 7:45 pm. and she gets up at 7:30 am or 8:30 am.
    Anonymous

• Dude,... Be SO happy she WILL sleep... My son as an infant never slept more than 8 hours total a day.. I had the extreme opposite.. if they aren't concerned and she is growing and eating and pooping fine.. enjoy this!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• kids go through phases. Dont worry about it. if she has a normal appetite and is active when she is awake, i think she is ok. Next time you go to the PEDI be very direct about it.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011