How do you prepare your spaghetti?

Do you make your own sauce? Curious how others make spaghetti!!

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Pasta with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot
    Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss g

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I use penne instead of spaghetti because it's easier for the kids to get it on their fork. I make a light marinara with diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, chopped parsley, chopped basil, and chopped garlic. I top it with either mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My in a hurry method is to cook meat or meatballs, toss with jarred sauce and boiled noodles and serve.

If I have more time, I make my own sauce. If I have a LOT of time (or I just feel the burning desire to cook) I will make my sauce that simmers all day.

And if it's just for me, then I will caramelize a whole head of garlic in olive oil with crushed red pepper, black pepper, and oregano, then pour the whole kit and kaboodle over my drained noodles and toss with lemon zest, then top my bowl with some freshly shredded parmesan.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In the summer I make gallons of my own sauce, and freeze it in meal-size portions. When I decide to make spaghetti for supper, I'll pull a package of sauce out of the freezer in the morning to thaw. I cook hamburger, drain, and mix into the sauce, boil the noodles in another, and sometimes mix them, sometimes toss the pasta in a little olive oil and serve them seperately.
    Anonymous

• When I have time, I make a big pot of sauce with meat. Tomato puree, whole onion (comes out after cooking), three or four whole cloves of garlic (also removed after cooking), basil, salt, pepper and a bay leave (one more thing to fish out). I'll add Italian sausage cut into small pieces, meatballs and sometimes beef or pork roast if I'm making a lot of it. That simmers for most of the afternoon.

Another thing my son likes is spaghetti with nothing more than olive oil and minced garlic. We've just introduced him to pesto as well.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I cook the ground meat. I boil the noodles. I mix the Prego sauce in with the meat after it's cooked. Then I drain the noodles and mix the sauce and meat with the noodles.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I love Mom's. It's a fairly expensive brand (about $9.00 a jar), but it's amazing. Whole pieces of tomato, basil and garlic in it.
    The most delicious sauce ever. When I have time for homemade I'll do it, but I rarely have the time to simmer a pot all day!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I buy 2 jars of spaghetti sauce and a can of tomato sauce, 2 lbs of hamburger and almost a whole big box of noodles. We add alot of different kinds of seasoning to the meat when we cook it too.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 1:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, I make the sauces and we alternate between 3............ a quick sauce I do in the skillet with diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, sometimes carbonara, and sometimes a tomato and cream sauce.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We make our own sauce and add the cooked meat to it and then let it simmer for between 4 - 8 hours. After the noodles are cooked, we rinse them thoroughly, mix in the sauce, cover it with grated sharp ceddar cheese and bake it for one hour.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011