How did you teach letter recognition?

My 2 year 9 month old son knows his spoken alphabet but isn't taking well to my methods of attempting to teach him to written letters. We have flash cards (but he only ever wants to look at the pictures), the leap frog alphabet magnets that says the letter, and the leapfrog DVD's that use the same songs to teach the letters. I have tried books, puzzles, and drawing letters as well. My goal is to be able to recognize letters by his third b-day. Any advice?

wildsun

Asked by wildsun at 1:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your goal maybe for him to recognise letters by his third birthday but his goals maybe entirely different. My son (who is 3) taught himself because it helped him recognise links on the computer to his favouritre tv shows.

Children learn what they need to and want to and their own pace. I would just encourage it but let him decide and don't stress yourself out about it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Read to him often. It is the number one thing you can do to foster your child's ability to read. Make anything else fun and interesting. We had plastic magnetic letters when my kids were that little and they loved to play with them on the frig and a magnet board. He is very young so you don't want to push it and make him feel pressured. You have plenty of time and this is also taught in preschool.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Just keep doing it, thats all, my daughter is 3 1/2 she doesnt recognize all her letters, she recognizes some, she can sing her alphabet, knows what sound many letters make, and can tell you what letter many words start with by the sound they start with (she just started doing that) We are doing preschool and doing the letter a week curriculum, we do activities for each letter each week. But it just takes seeing it over and over again to get it. And they will do it in there time not yours, you are doing everything you can, as long as you keep showing them, and saying the letters they will get it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We put magnet letters on the fridge and whenever our daughter wanted a drink or anything, we would point to the letters and she needed to say what they were in order to get her item from the fridge. (she was a bit older than 2 going on 3). We only put up a new letter when she got really good at the ones already there. We also made sure we pointed them out in different orders and even put them out of order so that she really knew them on sight and not just because she knew that d came after c, etc.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do a lot of the same things you're doing. He'll get there when he's ready. Just keep practicing as long as he finds it fun. My 2 yr old has the Leap Frog Letter Factory video, and today he was just going through his alphabet puzzle naming all the letters and doing their sounds. He knows most of them, but he still gets a couple confused occasionally. I do think it's helpful to teach the sounds the letters make in addition to the names of the letters, so we just have fun saying the names of the letters, then making the sounds and some words that start with that letter. We also sing the alphabet song and have a few books that teach letters. He likes the Curious George ABCs a lot, and we have a Sesame Street Animal Alphabet book too. I think reading those early and fairly often has helped him a lot too. We also practice drawing and letter/number recognition. Oh, and we have some of those alphabet blocks too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011