What is it about breastfeeding in public that has you so against it?

Was it someone jumping up and down saying I am about to breastfeed my baby now with both breast being out demanding that you look at them?

Ok that was kind of a joke but honestly wondering was there a certain act that made those who are so against it feel that way?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think this country has their priorities very screwed up! I totally support feeding your baby when they are hungry!!!

I am about to be breastfeeding again....I do it sometimes in a public place, I always use a blanket and never expose myself!!! I just dont feel comfortable doing that....

But really...you see more breast on the huge displays in the windows of Victoria's Secret! But that is ok....right? Screwed up thinking!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Its just immaturity and people not minding their own business because if you cover yourself up then no one should really notice unless they are trying to see something. People are just nosey and immature.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm a very modest person. I'd be so unbelievably nervous the blanket would fall, or one wrong move would expose me. But that's just me.babies need fed, I know this. But I always planned around my kids eating schedules. Whatever works for you.......
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• im not sure either. i always thought a head can turn in multiple directions, so i would assume it could turn in the opposite direction of something you dont want to see. i would think that would be a feasible solution if seeing a nursing child disgusts you. (not you OP, "you in general) but apparently people think they need to make it an issue by staring, making ugly faces or creating posts on CM about how you either need to feed inside a closet where nobody can see you or "cover up". i fed my babies formula, and i didnt cover their heads when they ate from a bottle. why should a breastfed baby have to wear a cover so people don't get all butthurt over seeing a bit of skin? if breasts are so gross, then we need to tell everyone to stop wearing bikini's on the beach and tube tops in public.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm not against it at all. If you want to do that it is completely fine but as for me i try not to do it in public out of respect to others i guess but when i do i always cover up so that my breast aren't just hanging out there.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd like to know that too Charis. I've rarely met any women who just "let them hang out" for the world to see, even at my breastfeeding support groups! And i don't get that we see more boobage on tv, in print, in ads, and even out in public, but that's okay? Objectifying women is ok, but feeding our infants isn't? Our society is really messed up about the issue.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have no idea. It's okay for parents to let the see half the crap on TV but or some reason they think its so wrong for them to see a nursing baby. It's just natural. There is nothing wrong with it. Sure I don't want to see another woman's boob that's why I don't stare. But I am all for breastfeeding in public.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I wonder if these same people who get their panties in a wad about a mother FEEDING HER BABY in public, ambush the half naked teen girls prancing around the mall who show WAY more flesh than most nursing mothers.

My MIL, who is a wonderful person but uneducated about breastfeeding, used to freak out whenever I would nurse. Meanwhile, her granddaughters were running around in clothing that I wouldn't want to wear on a wild night at home with my husband. You couldn't see a THING when I would nurse and they would run around showing more flesh than I show in some of the lingerie I own.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Being totally honest here, I never even knew it was an issue (or at least where I live)until I joined CM.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I feel its the same as giving a bottle you feed on demand
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 3:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011