Whew! Who else is happy for Chicago?

They may suck at football, but at least the IL state court system is spot on.... For now?
~~~
[cbs.com]The Illinois Appellate Court has tossed mayoral frontrunner Rahm Emanuel off the ballot, reversing the decision of a lower court.

The Appellate Court reached a 2-1 decision to remove Emanuel.

Appellate judges Thomas Hoffman and Shelvin Louise Marie Hall ruled against Emanuel. Justice Bertina Lampkin voted in favor of keeping President Obama’s former chief of staff on the Feb. 22 ballot.

“It’s a surprise,” said Kevin Forde, the attorney who argued on Emanuel’s behalf.

Emanuel’s attorneys are expected to use Lampkin’s dissenting opinion to appeal the case to the Illinois Supreme Court.

In today’s ruling, Hoffman wrote: “We … order that the candidate’s name be excluded (or if, necessary, be removed) from the ballot from Chicago’s Feb. 22, 2011.”

Opponents have been trying to get Emanuel removed on the grounds that he did not reside in Chicago for a year before the upcoming February election. He moved to Washington, D.C., two years ago to work for President Barack Obama.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wait...did I just read "Illinois" and "spot on" together in the same sentence?

We have had enough of sleaze ball criminals running this city, thank you very much. He is the last guy we need on the ballot here. When his ads come on television...about every 2 minutes here, my skin crawls. He is just SO creepy. I am relieved because the corruption is so bad, I don't think there is such a thing as an honest election anymore. I don't care what voters think of him, it seems to me he would find a way in through a back door left open. And yes, agent wanda, I agree, I am sure his team of roaches are working around the clock to find that crack to crawl through.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Based on the foregoing analysis, we conclude that… a candidate must meet not only the Election Code’s voter residency standard, but also must have actually resided within the municipality for one year prior to the election, a qualification that the candidate unquestionably does not satisfy,” the court wrote.

Illinois state law says a candidate for mayor is required to have lived in the municipality where he is running for at least one year prior to the election. But Emanuel’s team has argued that exceptions can be made for national service.

The court agreed that Emanuel’s reason for leaving Chicago constituted “business of the United States,” but argued that this still did not qualify him for the ballot.

“In our view, the exception… applies only to voter residency requirements, not to candidate residency requirements,” the court wrote.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You can't forget this is CHICAGO we're talking about, you know...home of Capone, the underworld, The Daley Machine...OBAMA!!!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughterawesome

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Election Codes... It appears that SOME would just rather disregard CODES.

Well, we know SOME sweet girl supports violating election codes, as evidenced by her stance on the Bush/Gore race in FL.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Chicago politics, Illinois politics for that matter are a creature all their own, they should let those who live with it vote and make the decision. At least he would have been able to run the Machine, none of the other candidates so far have that ability.

Actually that is only true to a certain point. Since many liberals live in the bigger cities here in Illinois they overpower the voices of the conservative here...which is a lot more then people think.Chicago mainly makes crappy decisions that effect the whole state.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• LOL, I was just reading about that. Funny. I'm sure he will file an appeal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• and let the residents decide

They already decided when they wrote the regulation that you have to live in the city for 12 months prior to the election. They didn't just decide that now. He should have thought this through and taken back him home and re-established his residency 12 months ago. It is Chicago's regulation for anyone running for mayor even Rahm 'dead fish' Emanuel.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I missed the question mark, sorry!

I do think the voters should be allowed to make the decision. I don't think he has a snowball's chance.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• does he qualify for UEC?
    He only knows how to live on taxpayer dollars.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 4:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011