Stealing pictures off the net

Okay we all know if you post pictures on the internet it stays there. Is it considered stealing it if you take pics say off of google and claim the the kids are yours or that the model looks like you? I mean its out there for everyone to have access to. So is it still stealing even though you put them out there for every one to see and be able to take?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Technology

• yes it is stealing. pictures belong to the photographer unless the photographer gives written consent in the form of a copyright release. You can be sued for using pictures that are not yours without permission. Even if the pictures are of you you still can not use them without the permission of the photographer without taking the risk of being sued.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't know if it's stealing, but it sure is lying!!! NanaR46
    NanaR46

Answer by NanaR46 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's considered stealing if it's copyrighted but other than that, I'm not sure.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Access to the internet doesn't give you the same rights as the creator of the image. It's highly frowned upon unless they declare that their images are "open source" or copyrights free.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I say yes.  I think if you like the pictures and keep them for that reason, no harm no foul.  I think if you take pictures that aren't you and claim that they are, yes that is when it becomes stealing.  I have lots of pictures of German Rottweilers saved to my computer that I found on google.  I don't post those animals as mine but I will post a picture of one and say "my dream dog". 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• BTW I am not taking pictures off the net and claiming them. This question just came to mind last night.

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011