i need help sleeping what can help? i have tried some over the counter meds and they havent worked. i dont have health insurance so i cant get a prescription so i need what ever advice i can get. im running on 3-4 hours of sleep a night and its not working.

huntersmom00

Asked by huntersmom00 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Try going to bed and waking up at the exact same time every day. Don't take naps during the day (this is important for getting back on schedule). Don't exercise before bed, don't do any work on your bed (then you will associate it with work or stress) and don't watch TV in bed. Make your room dark and quiet. Good luck.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think keeping a schedule works well for me. I also need it to be cool enough in the room. I like white noise (we play an ocean background CD (without birds!). Also I have trouble sleeping when I drink coffee, tea, or chocolate anything. Try to ditch all that stuff. I also find that if I exercise in the morning-or afternoon I sleep much better!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Melatonin works for me. Benadryl is what my dr also recommended... That is what most sleep aids are made of anyway! Seriously look at the back!
    cutievibe

Answer by cutievibe at 7:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• melatonin is what your body releases to help your body relax to get to sleep.. it's pretty cheap and you can find it at wal-mart. i've taken it a few times and it doesn't leave you feeling weird the next day.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• alcohol....lol...no, seriously my mom's doc told her to have 1-2 wine coolers everynight about an hour before bed to relax her...it has worked wonders...and besides red wine is good for you!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Alcohol isn't a horrible idea, as long as you don't overdo it. Not that I would judge, but it is counter productive because apparently when you are drunk you wake up more often and don't sleep as soundly
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I don't think it's true that alcohol makes you wake up more b/c my DH drinks a few beers every night before bed and he sleeps like a rock. If he doesn't drink at all, then he won't go to sleep until midnight and wakes up every few hours.
    Seriously, try having a glass or two of organic red wine before you go to bed. Just don't overdo it or you'll become an alcoholic, dependant on alcohol to go to sleep. Try it a few nights in a row, and hopefully you'll get into a good schedule where you won't need it every single night.
    stefanierios

Answer by stefanierios at 12:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Sleepy time tea helps me alot
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• even if you are not a drinker, maybe have a glass or two of red wine to relax your mind, just one night. then hopefully, you'll put your mind at rest, sleep a little and then get on a normal sleeping pattern. i know myself, when i am over tired, sleeping is not easy. good luck!
    Anonymous