What would you do in my place?

My daughter's best friend wants to take her to see the upcoming movie Twilight for her 13th birthday. Her friend will be 13 in April. I don't object to the movie but her friend wants to take her to a 12am showing on a school night so they can go to the premier showing at a major cineplex in a fairly metropolitan area, with all the costumed, die-hard fans parading around, news crews, etc. The friend's mom was planning to drop them off and pick them up when the movie was over, but said she'd stay "if it would make me feel better".

Dad and I said no to the midnight showing on a school night, but the dilemma is what to allow. The friend's mom totally thinks this is a riot, and she didn't care one way or the other because it “was really important to them", and was prepared to let her daughter take the following day off of school. Are we out of line? If you were in our shoes, what would you allow/agree to?

terirose22

Asked by terirose22 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't allow a midnight showing on a school night, no way, no how. She's too young! If she were 17 maybe, but not at 13. They can go on the weekend. And no worry about what this other mother says, I think that if parents are too leniant on their teens they'll regret it in a couple of years, big time!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I definitely would say no to the midnight showing at that age

school night... is your school not out for thanksgiving weekend? :) it's thanksgiving night, midnight is the premier midnight showing :) opens friday nov 21st.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No, we're not out for Thanksgiving until Wednesday Nov. 26. Thanksgiving is on Nov. 27. If that were the case, I might consider it (with a parent) but they both have school the next day. I'll double check to make sure, though...thanks!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• well crap! why the heck was I thinking it was next week? LMAO

my bad :)

definitely not on a school night then :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I feel like a moron now :)

I'm still laughing at my own dumb a$$ :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would say it depends on how important the event is. Recently I have allowed my kids to stay up late to go to certain events because I feel that there are some things you can't learn in school. As long as it doesn't become a habit though.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• :) I'd like to add that I'm totally addicted to these books now, just read Twilight last week, an am now on book #3.

I don't see this event as "something they can't learn in school" it's not history or anything, this is totally recreational.

now if their school is like mine was, the week or so before thanksgiving was just "fluff" anyways, they didn't even really teach anything because they knew no one was paying attention. you might could really consider it, but definitely with adult supervision only! lots of weirdos will be out that night, it's a vampire movie.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Definitely my thoughts, anon...this is purely recreational, no "intellectual" qualities about it. I guess my thinking was more on the principle of the thing...if Friend's mom lets her do this when she's 12, what will she be doing when she's 16? I would take them myself (I don't mind watching the movie, I'm rather interested, actually) but it's supposed to be for a birthday gift. And fae, don't worry...I didn't know what day it was without looking at the calendar!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No, I think you should stand your ground. 13 is still too young to be out so late. Supervised or not.
    gdnrs

Answer by gdnrs at 2:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think you're right. School comes first.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2008