How do you do it?

I am a 31 year old mother of 3. I am overweight(252lbs) and I really want to work out and eat better but I never have any energy at all to do it. I spend most of my time either on the computer or sometimes playing a video game and spending time with my kids. I have a 6 months of baby to take care of during the day while the other two kids are in school. I bought all this healthy food a few weeks ago that is just sitting there and when I do eat it, it is not helping that I am not eating all healthy throughout the day or working out. I have two workout DVD's,small weights to use while walking,elliptical,Wii fit that i was doing alot but not seeing any results. Can anyone tell me what you are doing and maybe give me ideas to get up and get motivated so I can lose weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Start small and make small changes. With a 6 month you could try going for a walk everyday with her in a sling. Generally the first step in exercise is always hardest but after going out a few times you start to really getting into it and its not as hard to start.

With food why not just make an effort to have a couple of pieces of fruit before each meal or even start smaller than that and make an effort to have fruit with breakfast. You can then also add in a large salad everyday which you could have with dinner. This means you don't have to miss out on foods you love but can start making healthier choices. Small stesp are better for longevity. Also try only drinking water and avoid sodas and caffeine. If you are a caffeine drinker this might be the first thing to cut out in your diet as this won't help you have energy rather it will be make your feel tired.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• get a personal trainer, once or twice a week. They can show you how to use everything to your benefit and push you to your limits. Not everyone needs one but if you have all of that stuff and you are not seeing results I assume you need a kick.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks Keyaziz...I try to eat more salads but I am not much a salad eater so I tend to put alot of lettuce on my sandwitches and I will snack on celery with PB and cukes sliced with ranch dressing or something like that. It is also hard that I am not the kind of person that will eat 3 meals a day. I usually don't eat breakfast when I know it is the most important so I try to eat alittle something before noon. I read somewhere that if I make a mix of upbeat music to play that it will help get you motivated so I am going to try that as well. When summer hits I plan on going for walks everyday when my friend who has a 7 months go and lives just down the street.My son goes to school just down the street so I would like to walk and get him from school during the day.I am not giving up that is for sure. I am determined but just need the motivation and advice on what others are doing. I can't afford a trainer or to go to a gym.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I hear ya about the motivation. I joined weight watchers at 243lbs. That was this last may (2010). SInce then I have lost 48lbs and still loosing. It is hard to get motivated and have energy, specially at the beginning. Try to tell yourself that you are going to go for a walk (or other excersize) for at least 15 minutes (I chose walking becasue this is the easiest and can be done with a stroller or chilren in tow). Then slowly increase the time you walk or your type of excersize. See if there is someone in your area that will be your walking buddy or excersize buddy. It is more fun and easier to get going if you have someone to help motivate you.
    Its hard but it is worth it! I have so much more energy now, compared to before. I can run up stairs (short distance) without getting winded. And I feel so much better about myself. I still have to make myself do the excersizing but I can see the results of my work now. Good luck!
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You really have to be creative....when you clean your house, turn on the radio or go to Pandora.com and make your "own" radio station with up-tempo songs.....dance around the house while you clean. When your kids are at home and you do this, they'll think it's GREAT...and expect (and encourage) them to join in! Do some floor exercises with your 6 month old. put them on their play mat a few feet away and do situps...make funny faces at your 6 month old when you're on the up swing...get them to giggle...you're spending quality time WHILE exercising. STOP EATING CELERY WITH PEANUT BUTTER. Peanut butter is a good source of protein but it's also very high in fat....try to cut back on that...get some humus instead (they make it in a plethora of flavors) to slap on your celery. Also, the ranch dressing is KILLING you, it's so loaded with fat...eat 5-6 small meals (tiny meals) daily....exercise daily. You WILL lose weight!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dance with the kids and get rid of chemicals in your diet. Also, maintaining 252 lbs is a LOT of calories a day, you should be able to cut 500 off by subbing out low calorie foods for high and not even be hungry.

Try spark people.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• First thing you need to do is start supplementing. You especially need to take a vitamin B complex every day which will give you energy. If you're inside a lot you need vitamin D which if I remember right is best if taken with vitamin A, this might also give you energy but it's mainly to strengthen your muscles and bones. Also start drinking water all day long including before every time you eat anything. And the absolute best thing for losing weight is making sure you are having regular bowel movements every day which is 1-3 bowel movements a day. If that is sluggish so will be everything else. To have a healthy colon you need to take in the perfect combination for you of fiber, water, and oil, like fish oil. Other great foods are dates, plums, prunes, and apples. Also if you tend to be anemic you may need to take iron and vitamin C, this should also give you energy. (cont.) --->
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Or if you have a suspected thyroid problem kelp/iodine tablets or drops should help, this will also give you energy.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I stopped worrying about how much weight/inches I was loosing. It was really stressful. I changed how we eat. I make more chicken dishes and salads. I use ground turkey in place of hamburger for many things.

It also helped when we moved in with his mom. It's a split level with the washer and dryer in the basement. We have to do at least one load a day so I go up and down the stairs (built in stair stepper) several times a day. Plus I take our dog out several times a day and play with her.

The results will happen but it will take time. You put on the weight overnight and you aren't going to take it off overnight. Remember to set realistic goals for yourself and reward yourself when you achieve the goal.

Good luck and keep your chin up.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well shoot! Reading BUTTERCUP'S reply made me smack my head! I forgot that I started taking vitamins! I take Vitamin E (400mg), a multivitamin w/zinc and a cranberry pill w/ vitamin C (2500 mg).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011