If a woman gets pregnant and is no longer with the father of the child, does he have a say in the pregnancy?

This is kind of a spin off from another question that got me thinking. I am NOT talking about abortion, which I think is wrong 100% of the time, but that is not the question. Does he have the right to go to the doctor's apointments? What about information about the pregnancy, they are the MOTHER'S medical records, does he have the right to that info? Does he have the right to be in the delivery room? Just got me thinking because of some of the answers to the other question. The law says that if a father is not married to the mother, he only has the rights to the child that the mother allows until he goes for custody/visitation. Why should pregnancy be any different?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Even if they are together, he gets no say.
    Anonymous

• I think it's up to the mom. She should absolutely tell him about the baby, but as far as doctor's appointments go, if she's not comfortable with him there, then no, he shouldn't be there.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Her body her choice.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would say unless the mom says its okay for him to be apart of it, the answer is no. Now after that baby is born (unless addoption occurs) then the father can go get a paternity test and get rights and visitation to that child. But while pregnant the answer would be no, unless the mother is okay with it.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Legally, I don't think he has any say.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well, there are some legal and moral questions here.
    Does he have I right to be in the delivery room? If he is helpful, respectful and there to meet his child the minute he is born I say yes.
    Does he have the right to control me and my choices, NO.
    He does have rights legally as well. He can petition the court as well for visitation, parental rights if he wasn't on the BC, and custody as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Unless she is doing something harmful like drugs he should have to wait until the baby is out to have a say.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do not think he has a legal right to anything tell the baby is born and a DNA test is done. Then he go to court to get visatation and child suport worked out.

Answer by louise2 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I know legally, he doesn't have a right but should he have a right to these things?
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• op- personally I feel that if the the man is not a danger to her or her child then it is very wrong to keep a man that wants to be involved with his child out of the pregnancy. I can understand if the woman did not want him to go to exam appointments and such, but to just block him out is very morally wrong.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011