What in the world am I doing wrong?

This is a two in one question...How do you breast feeding moms breast feed and pump at the same time...I wanted to start storing my milk for when I go back to work, but I also use the milk for when I step out of the house or when I have class Monday and Thursday nights...its hard to rack up when I am only pumping out 1 1/2 oz of milk i pump enough for two bottles and then they get used in like two days so my questions are again How do you pump and breast feed? and What am I doing wrong?

lazo060109

Asked by lazo060109 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not all women can get a good supply when pumping.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I pumped after feeding, I pumped more often to try to increase my supply. Drank lots of water. But I too only made so much. Don't be hard on yourself, when you go back to work if you are able to pump while at work, that's what you'll have to do. And if the baby needs to start having formula added to the BM it will be okay. Hard on you emotionally, but it will be alright. They will thrive and be fine.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Try Fenugreek, it's an organic capsule that increases supply.
    Also, when pumping at home or away make sure that you snack a bit before and during, drink lots of water, and try to look at your baby or a picture because it seems to help, helped me.

Also relax, stressing over it will only make it harder.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• also, act as if formula is not an option, if your mind thinks that there is no other way, trust me, pumping will get easier, because once you supplement your supply will surely dwindle.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The more often you feed or pump, the more milk you will make. I often got a good amount pumped in the evening after my daughter had been asleep for a while.
    Karin78

Answer by Karin78 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Fenugreek never worked for me. And it made me smell like maple syrup (which I hate, so it made me nauseated). Talk to a lactation consultant if you're really worried about it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Pump while nursing, baby one side pump on the other. Never use ONE DROP of pumped milk if you are there to feed. Remember that baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're away, no more.

Morning typically gets best output, evening typically gets worst.

My biggest mistake was using pumped milk when out and about. Got over that FAST... nursed wherever I was. Modesty be damned... Adam and Eve got in trouble BECAUSE they covered, after all.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011