When did you start feeding your baby solids?

I have a 6 month old baby girl. Our family dr told me to wait till she was 6 months old to give her solids but if I felt like she needed them alittle sooner I could start her on them. She was doing good for a week or so but now that she spent 3 days in the hospital 2 weeks ago when she got the stomach bug she seems to want nothing to do with it. I am not pushing her into eating but should I keep trying to just wait till she goes for her 6 month check-up next week and see what the dr says? She is teething as well and I read somewhere that when babies are teething they will not want much to eat but I am not sure how true that is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait till you see the doctor. I started mine at 5 months because our doctor said it was okay. I hope your LO is much better!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I started my oldest on them at 6 months. Then my second child at 9 months. This one I plan to wait til 9 months as well... Breastmilk gives them all the nutrition they need and the longer you wait to start solids the healthier their digestive system will be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm going to give him baby cereal at 4 months and baby food at 6 months. My other two were around that age too.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 2:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would try a little every day if she didn't want to I would put it away and try again tomroow and talk to the pedi if she doesn't want to eat any in a few days or maybe a week
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It can take a while to feel like eating again after a stomach bug. If she was eating regularly before this, I would say go ahead and offer maybe once a day, after nursing/bottle. Once she seems like she's feeling better, and regularly taking the solids that you're offering once a day, gradually increase it to meet her demands.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i started at 7 months but only for a few weeks then she was on table food she hated baby food!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i started with baby food @ 5.5 months then table foods 7 months.
    manda28

Answer by manda28 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I started giving my daughter cereal around 4 1/2 months and then added baby foods in about 5 1/2 - 6 months and then she started eating table foods at 7-8 months!
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011