Soccer for 3-4 year-old? Or T-ball instead?

I am considering signing up my 3.5 year-old DD for soccer this season. ANybody have their pre-schooler in soccer? Did they like it? What about t-ball?

I am thinking soccer will be easier with fewer rules AND it's an all-girl 3-year-old team. What do you think?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's good to start them at this age . It's good for socialization and everyone else starts early, if you waited several years, they'd probably feel behind everyone! I started my girl in dance a year ago when she was 3, she did it for a year and we have took a break from that to try soccer. I was going to try t-ball but they had to be 4 by December 31st and her birthday is in January. I don't want to overwhelm her at this age so we try to do just one thing at a time. Good luck!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Either is good. It's a lot of fun to watch them play.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Either one. It will be so much fun. Pick the one that's more convenient for you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd show them a video on youtube and ask which looks more fun to them
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• both. our son wanted to do both, at different seasons, so we thought it's great to let him explore a few sports and see what he has an interest in. He still likes both!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• it's not really a team sport at that age. it's a combination of socialization + exercise + learning for follow directions + sportsmanship.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If they are already in gymnastics thats enough for now. My children took t-ball but not at age 3, t-ball is a little easier for them to understand where soccer is a little confusing to the little ones but they enjoy both, soccer involves alot of running.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• great advice hibbington ! Thanks all of you for the tips!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks genagina! Good advice -- We take gymnastics as well -- and can't give that up!
    A friend is trying to get us to take soccer and t-ball -- but thats too much with gymnastics as well -- I think,

Thanks for your input!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That's a little young for my tastes. I would prefer to wait until they were closer to 7 before putting them in organized sports.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011