What is the best way to wean your 19 mo. old from the breast? Slowly or "Cold-Turkey"?

If anyone can share their success stories or recommend a resource to help me, that would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For me I never had the heart to do it cold turkey. I would start cutting down a feeding or two a week, and see how they handle it from there. Basically put off feedings as long as possible, offer snacks, or juice of milk instead, go outside (harder this time of year though), do an activity, keep them busy, but with you so they arent feeling deprived of that loving relationship. Once I started doing this I had my son down to night time feedings within a month, then completely weaned within two, I did the same with my daughter. And everyone seemed happy and comfortable with it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 2:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• How often are you still BF? If its quite a bit I would say slowly so you don't end up uncomfortable if you do it slowly your supply will drop down so that when your done you are not having engorgement issues.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I commend you for breast feeing for so long. Alot of moms don't want to or have the stamina/time/desire to do so (not bashing just stating). I would say the best thing for your LO is to do it slowly. Reduce the feedings per day. the times between feedings too. Cold turkey could be quite tramatic to a LO who is use to it and having that comfort. My LO's breast fed for about a year each. My son weaned himself. My daughter weaned herself during the day but continued to feed at night- that was mainly for comfort, as she would fall asleep soon after attatching. You may still end up having to wake up at night after the feeding stops, your LO might still need that mom comfort and reasurance that he/she is so use to.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Slowly... no matter what the age. A feeding a week or a feeding every few days. You can also shorten each nursing session by a minute or two. But NEVER cold turkey unless you're having major chest surgery in the next few days. It can be painful for you and much tougher to get the child used to it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Gradual weaning is best at ANY age. Drop one session per week. OR, use the Don't Offer, Don't Refuse method. The latter often takes a bit longer, but every child is different. For your sake, and your child's, gradual is best, unless there is some situation where it's not possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Anon, I don't like pain either, but I have no problems nursing my 3 year old. He doesn't bite, as far as I recall, he never has. In any case, you are entitled to your opinion, but going cold turkey can cause quite a few problems for mom. It's never advised except for in EXTREME cases where continuing nursing would be dangerous for some reason. And good for you for nursing for 3 months! It's longer then some babies ever get :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• 19 months old and still breast feeding -- wow. i stopped doing that at age 3 months. , but mine had teeth groing in at that time and i dont like pain. period ! if i were u i would do it cold turkey, its better to just get it over with
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011