Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How do you make a bleach and water solution to put in a spray bottle to disinfect?

 
QandA

Asked by QandA at 2:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

Level 26 (26,827 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • You fill the bottle with WARM water and put about 2 tablespoons of water into the bottle. It will be ok for a couple of days and then need to be changed. This is what the day care centers in my state are required to do unless they buy expensive cleaners that are state approved.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • I wouldn't do that. Bleach will ruin your clothes. Especially if it's misted into the air. Use straight white vinegar.
    mompam

    Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • I don't bring toxins or environmentally damaging products into my home.

    This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • You don't.

    1. Bleach is terribly dangerous to inhale, so it should never be atomized in a spray bottle unless you have a chemical breathing apparatus (not a particle mask). The term 'chemical pneumonia' is related to spraying bleach.

    2. Bleach is not an effective antibacterial unless it is very, very fresh (under 6 months old) and since the product is undated and could have been sitting on the shelves or being trucked around longer than that...

    3. Bleach is not an effective antibacterial even if it's brand-new-fresh unless it is left wet on the surface for more than 4 minutes. Yeah, so many people stand there making sure it stays wet, and time it.

    Bleach is for bleaching things. If you don't want them bleached, use detergents --they're more effective at *removing* bacteria and washing it away, have less residue, are less harmful for you and the environment and don't destroy fabrics on contact.
    LindaClement

    Answer by LindaClement at 3:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Well, when I used it to clean my sinks and tough stains on the floor (our floor is white, and stains really easily), I just poured a little bit of bleach into a spray bottle and filled the rest with water and shook it up. I never used specific measurements or anything like that. Vinegar is a great cleaner. I wish I could use it (I have a terrible skin allergy, though).Even with gloves I always get some on me and break out like crazy from it.
    Mrs.BAT

    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Use vinegar! It is such a great cleaning agent!
    ali_1107

    Answer by ali_1107 at 5:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • how do you disinfect your counter tops, cutting boards, stove top?
    QandA

    Comment by QandA (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011