How do you feel about moms teaching their three-year-olds how to read?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 3:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If they are able to then they should go for it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• good for them!!!! I do hope they intent on homeschooling, though... or that kid will be so BORED in kindergarten they'll be at risk of acting up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh my spelling..... intent = intend
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son just turned three and he can read about 150 words now. I started with hime before he was really talking. I caught him reading flash cards. I freaked and told him I knew he could speak!!! It was too funny :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In Benjamin Hoff's The Te of Piglet, he describes a time in Chinese history when the emperor decided that conversation was lacking in the populace, so children were instructed in speaking at younger and younger ages --successfully, mind you-- until it was noticed that while they were absolutely learning to speak freakishly early, they were not learning to walk until they were 3, 4 and 5 years old.

When it was essential that all right-thinking humans write with their right hands, left-handed kids were forced to change sides --and it cause epidemic stuttering... a 'normal' childhood problem that has disappeared.

Anything that is impressed upon a child before they are naturally ready for it (and reading readiness ranges from a little over 2 years to 13), it distorts their development. The thing about early reading is that no one knows (yet) what is being distorted.

Wanna find out?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's a good thing. I was reading when I was 3 and had finished Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little by the time I was 4 or 5. Most of the kids I knew were still struggling with books like that in 4th grade because no one helped them learn to read. DD tries to read now (she's 2) and is starting to recognize words.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Brilliant. Children start their love of reading from a young age even your reading a book to them helps them with reading while they develop learn and grow!
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 3:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• "Anything that is impressed upon a child before they are naturally ready for it (and reading readiness ranges from a little over 2 years to 13), it distorts their development. The thing about early reading is that no one knows (yet) what is being distorted."

i can agree with this on some aspects (i've read that too), however, how do you know if the child isn't natually ready for it. I've seen 3 year olds read, on their own, not b/c the parent forced the issue, but simply enjoyed reading to them.

I say, if your child enjoys reading and learning, go with it. If they are frustrated, slow down then, they are not ready. How do you know what they are ready for and enjoy unless you at least introduce it?

boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I dont think there is anything wrong with tyring to teach them if they are interested and want to learn. My daughter is 3 1/2 we do a letter of the week curriculum where she learns a different letter, she is starting to pick up the letter sounds and is starting to recognize on her own what letter different words start with from the sounds they start with. Its not like shes reading, but she is getting the basics at least. I dont know about all the flash card things, Im sure it doesnt hurt, I just think my daughter would be really bored with it. Im personally not too worried whether they read now or at 5, to me its more important for them to be enjoying what they are doing at this age. So we always make it fun and she loves it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Interesting answer Linda, I am thinking about that.

My children were both reading at age 3 without any difficulties. It seemed like a natural progression to me. Around 18 months we started the shapes, then 1-2 I showed them the abcs and the letter sounds, then by 3 they were reading. Both of my children are school aged now and they are strong readers. My son's highly respected first grade teacher told me he was the most well rounded child she has had in 10 years. I was surprised by that statement...but pleased of course. I am happy that school has been easy for them, and I think early reading only contributes to their success and confidence.

On the flip side, I know children who did not know all of their letters going into kindergarten. These were smart and capable children too. And I know that 2 of them are still struggling with reading skills 4 years later.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011