Is it wrong to teach children ...

... that some religions are wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• IMHO yes. I am stressing w/ mine that different people believe in different things. Just like we all have different bodies, skin, favorite music, favorite colors, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Depends... why are the religions in question 'wrong' as opposed to 'silly' or 'foolish'?

Are they wrong because they advocate killing people? Or because they believe in the wrong gods?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Really? Is this a joke????!!!
    They're not ''wrong'' to people of those religions. What the hell do you think (some) wars are over?
    Teaching children a religion is wrong is like the segregation of people of ANY color.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think if you teach them that some religions are wrong then you are setting them up to think some people are wrong and to not have tolerance for others. I teach my kids our LCMS is what we believe and that others believe other things. I never say they are wrong just different.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's RIGHT to teach children that the world is a diverse place and that we should love, honor, and respect all people and their right to believe in whatever...I think it is okay to explain to children what your particular faith teaches compared to others, and I think it is okay to explain WHY you believe what you believe and that other religions may not believe the same, but they are still a valuable part of the world and society.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I guess it depends why you've decided they are wrong. . Mostly I talk about what I like about other religions and how they are similar and/or different from our own.   If there is something I don't agree with I explain that that's how I feel but others feel differently.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think by teaching them other religions are wrong, you are teaching them to not be tolerant. Just because you don't agree with everything another religion teaches doesn't necessarily make it wrong. I'm atheist and don't believe in god but I don't teach my kids others are wrong in their belief...just different than my own.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• well i wouldnt teach that they are "wrong" because that will close their mind. I would compare them and make sure you have your facts straight. For example, don't say paganism is wrong because they worship the devil and cast spells. Those are stereo-types lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• teaching them that everyone is different and has different beliefs is fine. But like the other ladies said other religions while might not mesh with your core beliefs doesnt mean that you should say they are wrong. More importantly is making sure your kids know whats morally right from wrong in your everyday lives and not making an issuse out of others religious ideas
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 3:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011