Potty training help

My DD is now 3 an still dont have an intrest in the potty. I take her when i go but she wont go. We even got her her own potty. An we have tried the seat on big potty but know intrest. So wh do i do. I feel awful that i cant get her to do this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it took me about 7 months to potty train my son..some kids just take longer than others.. and i dont know why but one day he just did it after months of begging and pleading and frustration..dont worry itll happen..hang tough!
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You feel awful that you can't make her body work the way you want it to, rather than the way it does?

Recently, on another list, much discussion took place regarding the 'normal' age of potty training... and it was discovered that not only has it always been 'somewhere before 5, for most kids' but when it was not okay for diapers to be used after [name your random and arbitrary 'correct' age of potty training], it was extremely common for children to have regular and routine 'accidents'.

Those aren't 'accidents' --they are indicators that the child in question is NOT potty trained. That's the difference, you see: a child who never has any reason to have diapers vs. a child who predictably still does, whether they wear them or not.

Leave it. You can't rush the physical development or the brain development needed for her to be successful at this, but you can distort her psychology (and maybe her sexuality) by forcing it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I feel you pain!! I started the 3 day potty training and it was war. I quit for a few weeks but I have to start again soon. Maybe if she has an interest in something try to incorporate that with the potty some how. Let her pick out big girl underwear dora, princess, or what ever she likes.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• some kids take longer than other kids so do not give up and keep trying. you can try rewards if she uses the potty, make it fun, when ready to potty train also let her pick the underwear and she will try harder to stay dry. She will let you know when she is ready.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Some kids just take longer then others. My dd hasn't started potty training yet (she is 16 months). My son took a long time to potty train. He HATED the potty and was like 3 and a half to 4 before he potty trained. I wouldn't worry about it
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dont feel awful kids potty train in their own time and they wont do it just because you want them to. My son was 3 and a half before we finally got him interested but I used a online book I think it was called 3 day potty training it was awesome and really helped. He was almost completely potty trained in 2 days of course he still had accidents here and there but not many and only in the begining. I didnt think it would work but was glad I bought it.
    Trish7910

Answer by Trish7910 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Also have you tried rewarding her when she goes, I used fruit snacks and gave him a few out of the bag when he would go or a few smarties something small but something she will like can sometimes be great innitiative.
    Trish7910

Answer by Trish7910 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011