How often to you bathe your dog?

If you groom your dog yourself, how often? It's so cold here and neither like the blow dryer. I hate to bathe them and then have to put them out to go potty.

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pets

• About every two months but my dogs do not play in dirt or mud.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I rarely do it. I have enough to do and I really don't care if he's dirty. When I do it, (around every 6 months) I wrap him in a towel after and one of the kids holds him on the couch. I would never put a wet dog outside.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, same thing here. In the winter they go 1-2 months without baths in the winter because it is too cold.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I bathe mine once every week or two as needed, no matter the time of year. Mine are inside dogs, but they get stinky/dirty so fast because when they go outside, they like to wrestle, play bite, and chase each other all over the yard (about 3/4 of an acre fenced). They don't really "like" the blow drier either, but they will tollerate it. In the winter, I always blow dry them afterwards.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Juggernaut our Pug/english bullgod mix is the smelliest dog on the planet. He has all these skin folds around his neck and front legs & he's a curly breed pug with a double coat so it takes him like 24 hours to dry. Also, he's epileptic and when he has a seizure he usually pees on himself making him even stinkier. I'd say he get's a bath at least everyother week.

Tuesday, our Boston Terrier...we rarely bathe her. Boston's are a self bathing breed so they only need a bath if they get really dirty for some reason.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• As often as I can but Im not OCD about it shes a dog. a quite large dog. And sometimes it ends up like a WWE Match .
    Harley_Emmy

Answer by Harley_Emmy at 4:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I like to do it once a week during dry season... rainy season maybe 1 month.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 4:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I live in Minnesota and I bathe my dog once a month during the winter. I make sure he uses the bathroom (both 1 and 2) and I know he wont have to go for a few hours. After I wash him I just dry him off really good, and brush him out and let him relax and dry inside. And when he does "potty" he isn't out long enough to effect him.
    During the summer I bathe him once a week because he gets into so much when we go on walks, gets into streams, ponds, digs lol. He needs more cleaning then.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• every other week. after she goes out for the last time at night , i bath her and blow dry her. she is only 3 pounds so she can sleep with me and take very little space. she has clothes, coats. boots, bath robe, neck scarves, pj's and costumes. her name is MiMi. (not her reg. name, it is too long.)
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• To those who bathe their dogs once a week, or bi weekly, TOO MUCH. You are stripping the natural oils from their skin and it will cause them to get dry, itchy skin.

I bathe my do once every 4 weeks or so. He is a show dog, so must be kept in show condition.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011