Who doesn't read books to their kids??

My older 2 kids have never been into books. They are now in 2nd and 1st grade and still don't like reading and are struggling with it. I have never got a library card for myself or my kids. I have never taken my kids to the library. Hell besides school libraries I didn't go in one till high school when I needed to do research. My kids do have some books but they never touch them. And almost all are Dr. Seuss. I keep reading posts about books kids their ages are reading and think to myself wow my kids don't read, and I don't read to them but every so often when they bring home books from school. So my question is do u read to ur kids? And if so what?? And what are they reading? How do they keep up with their books? I'm thinking about taking them to the library to get cards soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Reading is really important for kids developmentally. It will also help them struggle less with language and language problems. I am a librarian at a college and I tutor students in English writing. Many of them have severe problems writing papers or doing any writing at all, mostly because they never read. When you don't read, you don't know how language is constructed. My daughter is almost 2. Many times we sit down to read and she screams and slams the book shut. We still try, though and if it comes down to it, I just let her rifle through them. We read board books and picture books. I recommend giving your kids some type of reward for reading, even if it is just a piece of candy or a hug. Not all kids will love reading but they can at least understand how to do it and how to do it well, otherwise they will be in for a lot of struggle.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We have a lot of books at home. My youngest (5) is really getting into them now. He brings me books every night. My other 2 always loved them. Look at garage sales and build up your own library. It's easier than only checking out one a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i have been reading to my children since infancy. i cannot stress how important it is to read to your children, atleast once a day if you can squeeze it in. we have a ton of books at home, more than we need for sure but atleast they have a wide selection. its great that you want to take them to the library, maybe by taking them and letting them pick their own books, will get them interested in reading more.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• So...yes...my kids read. I always read to them, and they love to read. My daughters love American Girl books, Little House on the Prairie books, Little Classics, Magic Treehouse series, Harry Potter, Anne of Green Gables, Bevery Cleary books...pretty much anything! My baby is ALWAYS bringing any of us a book if we are sitting still. He brings a book, climbs into the lap and smiles so big and bright! If you mean how do they take care of their books (How do they keep up with their books?) it's never been a problem for us. Each of the children has a large bookcase in the bedroom and we have built-ins in the family room and media room. They don't tear them up or anything, but we teach them early to turn pages carefully and that they aren't to write on or walk on...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my son is 3. I read at least 1 book to him every night before bed. he has ZERO interest in books, AS I did.. so I am trying to make more of an attempt. my mom was a reader and said she tried to get me in to reading and I just didn't want to one bit, despite her efforts.. so for my son, I will have to take it a step further I think..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is interesting research about how parents who read to their children end up with children who are readers, but it's deeply flawed. It is promoted as if that means that people who only ever read when they're reading to their children will end up with readers if all they do is read to their children, which is wrong.

Children become readers when they see a need to develop the skills in order to live what they see as a 'normal' adult life. If you don't read for your own reasons, quite apart from 'because it's good for kids to be read to' you will not affect their ability or enjoyment of reading. You will not be demonstrating, day in and day out, that reading is an adult skill... but rather you'll be demonstrating that reading is something done exclusively --or nearly exclusively-- at children. Since they won't need that skill until... whenever maybe never, why spend any time pursuing it this week?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Do you ever just turn off tv or video games and make books available? I've read to mine since he was young. All kinds of picture books. He picked up reading at an early 5 and has been reading non-stop since! He has a book bin here in front of the tv, a whole shelf full of books up in his room that he owns, we go to the library 2 times a week and he brings home a stack of books, both fiction and non-fiction each time. I get him cheap books from the Scholastic Book Clubs. He has a caddy in the car that has books and magazines in it that I switch around periodically and add new things too - he has toys in that too but prefers to read. Chapter books, picture books, comic books. Oh yeah, he's only 7. He reads everything and anything - even the calorie charts at the restaurants while he's waiting for his food.

I guess I can't even imagine having a child that doesn't read. Just go to the library and let them pick out books!
    Anonymous

• I read to all my kids, a lot. I read the most to my first because I had more time. From the very day he came home from the hospital. This did not make him a reader. He is 15 now and hates reading. I have to nag and scream to get him to do it. I really don't think reading to a young child has a huge impact on whether they become a reader or not. My daughter (7) loves to read. I did not read as much to her as I did to my son. I think it depends on the kid.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• PS If you get picture books to read to them - MAKE IT FUN!! Add sound effects, voices, drag out words, talk quiet when it's supposed to be quiet, be LOUD when it's supposed to be loud! Kids love it!!
    Anonymous

• We read together every single night. I love reading, my mom and dad read to me as a child..and I want to make sure that I cultivate a love of reading in my kids. They are 5 & 7, so really it's more that they read to me. Also my daughter (the oldest) goes to bed at the same time as my son, but she gets to stay up for an extra 15 minutes reading to herself. My kids love Dr. Suess, so if that's what you have in the house, read it to them. The rhyming is fun in Dr. Suess books. My kids pick out books at the library that they think they will be interested in. I am ultimately the one who keeps track of all of the library books. We only use MY library card, it would be way to hard to keep track of everyone's books if they were all checked out on different cards.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011