Do you walk for exercise?

My BFF and I are going to start walking in the mornings, starting next week. It's really the only good time for both of us, as she does daycare and I work 8-5 Monday-Friday as an MA. I love to walk, but I don't really know that it will help us lose much of the extra baby weight we are carrying around.
Do you have expeirence with this? Has walking helped you or not reach your weight loss goals?

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 3:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• yes. but if you want to loose wieght you should do some intervals while walking. walk uphills and downhills, try to jog one block in between walking some. try running one block in between walking. stop and do another activity after a few blocks, like 20 jumping jacks, push ups (against a fence), squats, lunges, and sprint walking. you can carry wieghts and pump your arms.

when you add intervals to any workout routine, it will increase the benefits, and work different muscles too. Resistance training is a big key to add for wieght loss (some of the examples above will work for begining resistance training).

i started with walking years ago, now i do a lot of different workouts at gym and at home. Preventin magazine and Shape have good exercise tips!

good for you! good luck!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yeah, I've walked tons! It's great for weight loss.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, walking is the only exercise I do right now. I also watch what I eat. I think it works, but you have to modify your diet, too.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do when it's not sooooo cold. I find exercises to do inside during these cold months.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You know I have been walking a lot lately and i have lost a very small amount of weight. I usually have to power walk. lol. It may work for you..Wish you guys the best of luck...But as far as me..Just doing walking I have not noticed a big difference.
    txcandy13

Answer by txcandy13 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Obviously we are also trying to eat right and smaller portions, etc. I have also cut my intake of soda in half, which is like a miracle for me and I am continuing to cut it down more.
    brighteyesbryar

Comment by brighteyesbryar (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yes, i walk daily, normally outdoors but have treadmil for rainy days. remember not to overdo it. start slow, a mile a day then bump it up weekly. i walk 3 miles a day but want to work up to 5.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes I do walk.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think walking always does a body good. I walk the block with my 4 year old.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I used to live near a huge mountain in our city and I would walk the 5 mile trek around it everyday. I didn't lose much weight but I toned up really well and almost each day I shaved time off how long it took me to finish.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011