depression during pregnancy?

Have you had it, and how do you deal with it? Usually I can talk myself out of feeling sad, but since I've been pregnant (only 5 weeks so far) I can't. It's overwhelming sadness. I'm not sure what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Some light exercise really helped me to try and get out of the funk. I have severe bleh periods of time sometimes and during pregnancy I used to go swimming for my light exercise to get me out of it.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Depression following pregnancy generally follows naturally from depression *during* pregnancy.

Leah Rai is right: one of the best things you can do is follow the LEVity plan (it's a book, not too hard to find):

Light (outside, even on grey, overcast days) is essential for sanity --at least an hour every single day.
    Exercise (hey, you'll be outside anyhow, go for a walk)... at least an hour of movement a day --whether in 10 minute bursts or all at once, it makes no difference at all
    Vitamins: you need to make sure that your diet is low in simple carbs (white bread, white rice, white pasta and sugars --check those processed food labels, it's in EVERYTHING!) and high in food --real food, like a potato, a tomato, a carrot, a chicken leg, an apple. Take a multivitamin with an emphasis on B vitamins (lots of the ones that say 'stress' on the label are good), but eat good food mostly.

And drink water. And sleep lots.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• try omega 3 capsules (look around for mercury free ones, GNC and Trader Joes have some), those are supposed to be natural mood elevators and are also good for the development of the baby
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• talk to your ob doctor, that is what i did and i finally didnt feel alone knowing that i am not the only person dealing with this problem.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011