Do you agree with Robert Brady’s (D-Pa.)?

Brady has introduced a new bill making it a federal crime to use language or symbols that could be perceived as threatening or inciting violence against a Member of Congress or federal official.

When there already is a law in place~ U.S. Code already makes it a FEDERAL crime, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, to send any form of threatening correspondence to an elected official.

~~~~~

QUESTION:So~Who defines "perceived"?  and IS IT only after it has been proven that the language or symbol has IN FACT without a doubt been proven the cause of what incited the violence?  What do you think of this proposal?

Anyone seen the actual verbiage of this bill?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Perceived?

Oh boy. Have you seen how sensitive the perceptions get around here? That's pretty dangerous.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That's bs
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What a douche.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• wow that's ASKING for a ton of trouble. Everybody's view of perception is different so yeah that would be totally assinine if that passed
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 3:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Who decides the perception?

Extreme example: When I see a swastika, I immediately think, "Nazi" and I'm either threatened or offended by it.

However, about two places away from my dad's grave, there's a gravestone with two swastikas on it. Was the person Nazi? I doubt it, because the name on the gravestone is Vietnamese, which makes me think that the person buried there is Buddhist--I understand that Buddhists uses swastikas as a religious symbol.

So should Buddhists be arrested because of their use of a particular symbol? (Note: if *anyone* is using the swastika as a political/anti-Semitic statement, I have a serious problem. My point is, who decides what is perceived as threatening?)
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 3:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would assume, the progressives get to make that determination. It will never fly.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't agree with passing another bill. Redundancy costs our country in so many ways. The only benefit for lawmakers to pass something like this would be if the interpretation of a threat is so loose they can claim virtually anything as a threat. There are already laws against threats.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't think the bill is necessary if there's already a law in place that addresses threats toward elected officials.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Leave it to a Democrat.

How many perceptions could there possible be?

How many misperceptions?

Millions?

Whose going to judge?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 6:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011