For those that sew! A yardage question???

I need a cover for a changing pad that I have that is 28x36. It is a thin pad that goes on top of a changing table. Will one yard of fabric be enough to make like an envelope covering both sides with a zippered top to slide the pad inside? Thanks!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 3:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I think a yard and a half would do it. but i always buy extra and make matching items. diaper holder you hand up with a hanger, small pillow, covered photo album, it it's flannel a small blanket. Have fun! there is nothing funner than sewing baby stuff!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No. Even if you used fabric that doesn't shrink, you'd still need room for seam allowance. Also, you'd have to be sure the fabric is 60in wide (many are only 54). Get 1.5 yards just to be safe! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd also recommend just making your pad cover like a pillow case, instead of bothering with a zipper. They can be tricky, and it doesn't really need it.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would recommend a yard+ 3 to 4 inches, to allow for seams and mistakes. 40" should do the trick. Make sure that the width of the material is 56+" to cover top and bottom of the pad.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No.

One side of what you want to cover is a yard long, so even the widest fabric (150cm/1.6yd) won't wrap all the way around it. You need a little more than 2 yards in one direction or other (extra room for seam allowances, call it 4").
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks!!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011