Any book you had on your shelf for years and years and when you finally started reading it you were like "Wow, I have to put that down. It's 2 a.m".?

lol I know, it;s quiet a specific question. But I just had to let you guys know ... I bought this book AGES ago in a book-buying-mood and never really looked at it. It's called "Und träume recht süss von mir" (And have a little dream of me). It's all letters of three teenagers in Germany 1940 - 1943. Two girls writing each other. One of the girls is pen pals with a 18 yo boy who voluntarily joins the army to not have to attend school anymore and get some adventure. Back then it was WAY COOL to be a soldier for Adolf. Because Germany - of course- was going to win ... They've been told. I couldn't put it down yesterday, because every time I read one letter, I wanted to know what the other person replied. And what makes it so magic is that these letters are so authentic (sometimes even naive). When old people today talk about the war they have more than half a century of thoughts and experiences and learning process between that point in time and now. But these letters are still exactly the way these people felt and thought back then. And it gives you a glimpse of how they've grown into believing all the nazi-nonsense. I have to google it and find out if the two old ladies are still alive. In the 90's they found their letters on the attic. And the niece of one of them, who's a publisher for a German newspaper, turned them into a book. I think. it's great. So if you wonder how people came to follow Hitler and the Partei: Read this! I'm not sure though it's available in English.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Entertainment

• Lol! None of my books spend too long with being read. But I reread Little Women at least once a year and that book plus all the sequels always reel me in.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm like that with all my books. But I have had A Child called IT the longest. I cant put it down till I finish it lol.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Sue Grafton M is for murder
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• here it is!

http://www.amazon.de/Tr%C3%A4ume-deutsche-Freundschaft-Briefen-1940-1943/dp/3828979181/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295902033&sr=1-2
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011